PDA

View Full Version : African Tank

Morkel Erasmus
05-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Will our children be able to see these beautiful creatures? I hope so! Poaching is on the rise in Africa at an alarming rate, because some ignorant people are more concerned about their sex-drives than about the future of our planet...as if an overgrown piece of nail/hair can really increase your coital stamina...:confused::(

I'm not going to disclose the location of this shot, as some have alluded that these animals are being identified by photos posted by photographers, and then know where they can find the rhinos for poaching.

Techs:
f5.6 @ 1/640 SS @ ISO-400
focal length 150mm

Steve Kaluski
05-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Hi Morkel, more like a Tank Buster, than a tank!:)

Firstly I would totally support you in reference to location, at times we need to aware of the 'Outside world' therefore lets just enjoy the images and hope our offspring can also do the same.

To the image, I guess we both like to play with this little bit of software ;) I like the drama and contrast you have created and ultimately the impact it has, as it is so 'Black & White'. I'm just not sure if it's less foreground it needs and more above, but feel you probably have it about right, so no worries.

On a personal note, I would like to see one where it is not so B/W, allowing us to see the texture, contours and plating this magnificent animal portrays in it's build. Slight halo at his rear.

BTW Did you see a link to a photographer I posted a while back, right up your street on this one Morkel?

TFS
Steve ;)

Morkel Erasmus
05-15-2010, 11:48 AM
thanks Steve...I deliberately underexposed this shot in camera with this B&W image in mind, with the sidelight we had that morning.

here is a B&W version which was plainly converted from the original raw file - as an alternative. The original post was created with many tweaks in Silver FX...

Steve Kaluski
05-15-2010, 12:18 PM
A mighty fine beast Morkel.

As I said, both have merit, but in different ways.

If you are playing in FX, take a look at Beverly Joubert, good inspiration ;)

Steve

Morkel Erasmus
05-15-2010, 02:26 PM
thanks Steve - yes her B&W work is phenomenal.

peter delaney
05-15-2010, 02:57 PM
interesting conversion... a little too black for me to be honest..i can see what you are trying to create..

this particular reserve has little if no poaching, the reserve and especially the locals that work on the reserve need as many guests as possible to come and stay..
so they will be happy to get as much advertising as possible...:)
totally understand your concern..

Morkel Erasmus
05-15-2010, 04:07 PM
thank you Peter...does the repost sit better with you?

I know what you're saying...but the reserve close to this one had 2 rhinos poached recently by a syndicate, so I'll keep the locale and date taken for this photo silent for now...given that I have 2 years of images and am still processing many untouched ones from last year it could be anywhere... ;)

Steve Canuel
05-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Repost looks better to my eye Morkel. I like how the little bit of light on the FG grasses breaks up the blacks. Also like the added details that are visible on the rhino.

Hilary Hann
05-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Morkel, I prefer the OP. I like the added drama you have given the animal, it takes it beyond a photograph of what you saw in the bush, to an image you have created in your mind at the time which always interests me.

There are no doubt a couple of schools of thought … wildlife should appear very close to how it was originally, and wildlife/nature can become an avenue of creative thought and expression. Some processed with the second thought in mind do belong in OOTB, but perhaps not all?! (Not that I'm thinking this belongs anywhere but here in Wildlife ;) ) Anyway, I do like the original, but would have been pleased with the re-post.

You have a fine touch with your images which I admire and they always have a different, refreshing appeal.

Rachel Hollander
05-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Morkel - I like the repost better. The original has a little too much noise in the light background for my taste but this is a magnificent animal. I have had the privilege to see both black and white rhinos in the wild and join you in the hope that future generations will have same opportunities to see these magnificent animals.

Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
05-15-2010, 06:12 PM
thanks for your comments Steve, Hilary & Rachel...they are appreciated!

Harshad Barve
05-16-2010, 01:50 AM
Morkelbhai

This woks for me :):):):):)
Excellent image and I too support you for location , Great Indian one horned rhinos had same story but FD has really don marvelous job to save them
TFS

Stu Bowie
05-16-2010, 02:50 AM
Hey Mork, your repost works so much better for me. It just shows more detail, and I like the dappled light on the hide. IMHO, the OP is a little too dark, but I know how you like to experiment, so well done for thinking out the box in camera.

Sabyasachi Patra
05-16-2010, 04:48 AM
Morkel,
I agree with the repost. I like the lower angle.

I don't agree that withholding the location information is going to save these magnificent creatures from poachers. The poaching syndicate is much more efficient. They have contacts with the field guides, villagers etc. The local people are often in a better position to know the movement of animals and hence recruited by the poachers.

The solution is to increase protection, faster prosecution and also to spread awareness. Unfortunately, most of the photographers enjoy watching and photographing wildlife, but don't take the pain to generate awareness among people.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Steve Kaluski
05-16-2010, 05:16 AM
Unfortunately, most of the photographers enjoy watching and photographing wildlife, but don't take the pain to generate awareness among people.

I totally agree about faster prosecutions & protection as you know, however I think at present there is a lot of awareness going on, certainly from across the pond anyway. Lets not forget, the majority are 'tourists' who just want to go and see the animals, nothing more! Perhaps they are the people we need to educate too?

There is a big 'wake up call' going on, I feel there needs to be more pressure put on the recipient of the goods rather than perhaps the paochers who can be educated in how the animals are worth more alive and in fact, quite a few are being trainned to become border guards or part of the patrol groups as you know. My fear at present is the underline warning about the safety to visitors within African, like Kenya & Tanzania.

Apologies Morkel, off the track again.;)

Perhaps Sabyasachi this requires a new thread on this topic rather than bolting onto this one? :)

Steve

Morkel Erasmus
05-16-2010, 02:42 PM
thanks for the comments and your views, they are all appreciated. I will maybe post the colour version as well sometime :)

Ajit Huilgol
05-17-2010, 06:06 AM
Morkel, the repost is MUCH better. The original had too much black in it with no details.

Morkel Erasmus
05-19-2010, 04:53 PM
thanks Ajit...however the more I look at it the more I like my OP better. That is what I set out to create, and for me it's more than a "record" shot.

Hilary Hann
05-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Morkel, I'm glad you've decided that. What you set out to achieve was shown in your OP and you have the technique to accomplish this very well. Whilst it may not be pleasing to everyone, I'm not sure that was your initial intent so for a species in peril, a dark and threatening image is quite appropriate.

Arthur Morris
06-22-2010, 07:17 PM
I like them both but prefer the repost by a slim margin :)

Morkel Erasmus
06-22-2010, 11:27 PM
thanks Artie, Hilary & Peter...