PDA

View Full Version : Sunflower Landscape?

Arthur Morris
05-15-2010, 05:25 AM
Not sure if this belongs here or in Landscape but I am no landscape photographer :) so here it is.

Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens with the EOS-1D MIV. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1 stop: 1/320 sec. at f/5.6. (One-shot AF and recompose.)

When I first arrived at this huge field of sunflowers my first thought was to create an image that showed the expanse of the field but the individual flowers were so beautiful and interesting that I began working tight and tighter: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63248. After a while, I began creating some wider images like this. It proved to be far more difficult than I had thought. This was the only image that I kept.

Don't be shy: all comments welcome.

denise ippolito
05-15-2010, 06:30 AM
Artie, I like how the one sunflower is your main focal point but then you see these amazing buds in sharp focus also. All against a dreamy sweep of flowers taken to a soft blue sky. Nicely seen.

Arthur Morris
05-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Thanks Denise. I took many, many that failed until I saw this one that succeeded for the reasons that you mention :).

Julie Kenward
05-15-2010, 09:05 AM
It totally belongs here, Artie. What a beautiful field of flowers! I really like the hues of the yellows and greens here - they aren't what you see every day - and the DOF is perfectly controlled. Lovely!

Ken Childs
05-15-2010, 10:52 AM
The comp looks great as do the sunny Sunflowers. I really like the DOF on this one!

Arthur Morris
05-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks Ken. The d-o-f as in none???

Ken Childs
05-15-2010, 12:08 PM
The d-o-f as in none???
Exactly! :)

Arthur Morris
05-15-2010, 12:16 PM
:) I wanted to make sure that I was reading you right. The only d-o-f was a result of the subject to camera distance. I was happy when I noticed the by switching the sharp focus from the two on the right to the one on the left that several of the buds were pretty close to the center of the frame.

Ken Childs
05-15-2010, 02:27 PM
I was happy when I noticed the by switching the sharp focus from the two on the right to the one on the left that several of the buds were pretty close to the center of the frame.
That's why I like it. :)
The one flower is in sharp focus but as Denise mentioned, those buds near the center also look great.

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Beautifully composed Artie and I love the DOF you chose for this capture. It has a very dreamlike quality and I find it very soothing and relaxing to look at. An image that I would hand in my home and love.

Anita Bower
05-16-2010, 01:42 PM
I agree with all the comments about the excellent selective focus--with some flowers sharp, and the rest out of focus. Am unsure about the blue sky, leave it is or take it out.

Arthur Morris
05-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks Anita. I do love strips of color whenever possible at the top or bottom of my image. After a scrolling crop I do believe that this one would not work at all for me.

Bob Miller
05-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Love that one plane of focus with all the rest a dreamy blur. Nice !!

Greg Ruckert
05-16-2010, 07:58 PM
When I look at flower photos I always think of trying to keep the background as neutral and "unbusy" as possible.
I would never have considered having a busy (out of focus) foreground and the skyline to give greater focus to the main subject. The line of buds acts like an arrow taking me to the flower. I reckon that if there had been a second flower in focus it would have spoiled the whole effect.
Thank you for taking me outside of my usual box.

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-26-2010, 12:51 PM
To me the sky is the icing on the cake because there is too much yellow going on, so to me it cools it down. Very nice composition as well.