PDA

View Full Version : Lunchtime at the lake.

Mike Dale
03-01-2008, 07:48 AM
I often go down to a nearby lake at lunchtime. I generally take my camera, the midday lighting can be a bit harsh but it's the only time I can manage during the week at least in the winter.

This Ring-billed Gull liked a bit of Turkey Wrap!

It was taken with Nikon D3 and my trusty 300 f4.
The exif data is intact for all the technical stuff but the main points are1/1600s @ f7.1 using +0.67EV.
http://mike-dale.com/WebPictures/Ring-billedGull.jpg

Arthur Morris
03-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Nice sky. Sharp (but oversharpened on the face a bit). Whites blown. Plus compensation with Nikon bodies in full sun will almost always result in over-exposed highlights... Go to the Bulletin Archives at my web site and do a search for "exposure simplified." There is an excerpt from ABP II that will help you tremedously (but only if you study it).

later and love, artie

Jim Poor
03-01-2008, 09:35 AM
I like the composition here. A bit of Shadow / Highlight work to lessen the impact of the shadow under the wing as well as the bright spot on top of the bird.

Daniel Cadieux
03-01-2008, 09:36 AM
I really dig the toes sticking out from the belly feathers :-) The whites look hot between the eye and bill, and I'm sure there is detail to be rescued with some selective burning in the whites at the shoulder area. A small dust spot needs to be cleaned off near ULC