PDA

View Full Version : Road Runner

Joe Senzatimore
05-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Told Alan Murphy that this was a target species for me on this workshop. Can't tell you how hard he worked to get this bird to come to perch. He used all his vast knowledge and talents to make it happen. We didn't get a very big window of opportunity , but what we did get worked just fine. I used a high SS as we were trying to get it mid air as it jumped back and forth between perches. A smaller f stop probably would have given me a tail in focus , but I think the sacrifice was worth it.

800 ISO f4 at 1/8000th
Cropped for comp.

Tony Whitehead
05-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Good result for all the effort, Joe. I might remove the 2nd catchlight from the eye and mask back the sharpening on the perch. Some NR on the BG may also be worth it. Lovely textures in the perch and plumage against that smooth complementary BG.

Daniel Cadieux
05-14-2010, 01:04 PM
The bird and perch almost match! Looks like the hard work paid off. I agree with removal of the second catchlight, and if you have it I'd add back below for the tail being so close to the edge (but I have a feeling that is all you have down there?) Goog BG - you could apply a bit of NR to it as noise is a bit evident in some areas.

Arthur Morris
05-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Ditto Tony and would like a bit more room below. The shadow of the bird on the perch is unfortunate.

Morkel Erasmus
05-14-2010, 04:02 PM
agree with Tony's assessment and love the similarity in the tones of bird and perch. meep meep! :)
DOF is fine for me as presented, but a bit tight at the bottom...

denise ippolito
05-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Joe, I can't add much to the wonderful suggestions but the pose and expression are great. Having the feet showing is also special.:)

Mike Lentz
05-15-2010, 06:10 PM
The overall tones of the image make this wonderful! Congrats on a very nice image.

Lorant Voros
05-15-2010, 11:45 PM
You must be having a blast with Alan. He is a great master for sure. I wish to photograph this bird someday. Agree with the comments. I find the crop way too tight in the bottom. I think you could lighten up the shadow of the bird on the perch. Nice job.

Lorant