PDA

View Full Version : Ferns

Daniel Cadieux
05-14-2010, 04:10 AM
This is a beautiful ornamental fern that grows in my front yard garden every year...but this year it is particularly lush. Arriving home from work yesterday it caught my eye more than ever as I passed it, so I spent a few minutes trying to capture its captivating patterns and colours before coming in for supper:). I tried some with the shadows filled in, but I much preferred the depth implied in this one.

Canon 40D + Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 @45mm, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/15s., f/14, ISO 800, no EC, natural light, handheld (looking straight down with camera/hands/head supported by brick wall - kinda looked funny if neighbours were watching:D).

Mike Moats
05-14-2010, 04:33 AM
Hey Daniel, very nice pattern and it does have nice light to give it some depth. Good detail through out

denise ippolito
05-14-2010, 06:33 AM
Daniel, I really like the interesting flow of the fronds. The lighting looks good -it adds some depth as you noted. The color of the fern with the red veins is special. I do think that the shadow on the left upper side could be opened up. NOT the entire shadow but maybe just the (2) 1/2 fronds at the top left of the shadowed area. I do wish the frond at the LRC were not OOF. This is one of my favorite fern images that I have seen to date:)

Daniel Cadieux
05-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Denise, I hadn't noticed that OOF leaf in LRC!! Thanks for pointing it out...thankfully this plant is pretty darn close to my front door:D - I'll need to reshoot with that frond temporarily tied away from the scene...

Desmond Chan
05-14-2010, 06:03 PM
You got it, Daniel. The 3D feel is there ! Wonderful !

Ken Childs
05-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Daniel, the feel of depth is definitely there. I think if you shoot this again without the OOF leaf and slightly lighten that dark area in the UL, it will be a great image!

Julie Kenward
05-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Daniel, what an interesting plant! Beautiful color and veining as Denise mentioned. I also noticed the OOF frond on the right and the empty area in the LLC so I recomposed the image to an 8x10 and cropped off a slice from the top and a section from the bottom. I also lightened up that shadow in the ULC just a bit using Viveza. It's not a perfect comp but thought it might give you an idea...

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-15-2010, 11:00 PM
You captured very nice patterns and light here. Very nice composition as well, the oof leaf has been mentioned.

Bob Miller
05-15-2010, 11:22 PM
beautiful light with a beautiful composition....What more is there?

Anita Bower
05-16-2010, 01:49 PM
I find ferns challenging to photograph. You did a beautiful job with this one. Love the colors and all the details. I prefer the original composition, though I see the problem with that one frond. Very nice!

Bob Miller
05-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Hi Dan...I was wondering what this would look like in infra red??