PDA

View Full Version : "Bottom" of the Savute Marsh

Ken Watkins
05-14-2010, 02:57 AM
Posted for information rather than quality.

Taken at the "end" of the marsh at least on the day in question (5th May 2010) it is growing fast, and will hopefully return to former glories.

Sabyasachi Patra
05-14-2010, 06:10 AM
Ken,
Good to hear that it is growing fast. Love to see some animals (lions?) in the marsh.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Ken Watkins
05-15-2010, 12:06 AM
Sabyasachi,

Thought you would like to know that the NatGeo Wild Channel, is currently showing a recent documentary about the returning waters. It is called "Predator Battleground" (why?).
I cannot find it on the Indian schedules though.

Cheers

Ken

Tom Graham
05-15-2010, 12:54 AM
Just today I say "Predator Battleground" on NGW. It is about water returning to the Savuti(e?) channel in Botswana. Seems the channel has been very dry the last 25 years except for 4 water holes. However it is a dry/wet cycle of 40 years and in last few (how many?) years the channel/river has enough water to bring back hippos and crocs.

Anyway, the predators there, lion, hyena, jackal, and wild dogs have had to adapt their hunting styles with so much more water around. And that then is really what the show is about. Very good if you like to see predators, chase, kill, and disembowel poor little impala. And who doesn't!!!! :)

Tom

Roman Kurywczak
05-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Hey Ken,
Thanks for the info and I will check it out when I get done with my Arches NP tour. AS presented, I may have tilted the camera downward to show more of the water as that was your intent to show the waters returning.....looking at this aesthetically.....I may crop to just below the mound of grass below the left tree....while this lessens the water impact.....it does strengthen the comp for me overall. Looking forward to see how this affects the wildlife!