PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Sunrise

Mike Fuhr
05-13-2010, 11:11 PM
Another picture I took while on Grand Isle in Louisiana. This one was taken just before sunrise You can see several of the oil platforms on the horizon (not dust marks :) ), not unlike the one that exploded several weeks ago.

D300
10-20 mm
13 mm
F/13 (-1.67)
1/3 sec
ISO 200
Tripod
ND filt

Hilary Hann
05-14-2010, 12:32 AM
Mike, very interesting colours in this image and I like the way the shape of the foreground sand leads you further up the scene. I might have considered cloning out the white spot in the LRS as I keep looking at it to see what it is. Interesting note on the oil rigs … what an ecological disaster that has been.

Charissa
05-14-2010, 01:54 AM
Nice shot Mike. The sand looks a bit like oil, now that you mentioned the oil rigs. Nature repeats itself. Like the colors and comp.

Sabyasachi Patra
05-14-2010, 05:41 AM
Sky on fire by oil rigs? ;)

The sky is too pink for my taste. However, I haven't seen the sunrise, and in different geographies the sunrises can have different hues. The dark blue colours look nice. I won't like to put my feet in that mud though. :D The texture in the mud look good as well. I won't mind a composition with less of sky and more of the mud as well. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to more.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Lance Warley
05-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Beautiful details in the sand. The sand textures, along with the dark and light areas, are excellent.

Dave Mills
05-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Hi Mike, I feel you handled this image very well! Good eye using patterns in the sand as a leading line and the shadows in the sand as a middle ground. I can't make a judgement on the sky color since I wasn't there and it looks OK.
For my taste I would crop the sky down to just above the top cloud wisp...Well done...

Morkel Erasmus
05-14-2010, 02:30 PM
clean simple composition and very interesting colours!! agree with cropping slightly from the top...

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
05-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Agree on the crop, very nice comp and nice colors

Mike Fuhr
05-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks for all the comments everyone. Here it is with additional crop off the top and a few things cleaned up in the foreground...

Roman Kurywczak
05-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Hey Mike,
Nice use of the split.....I like the cropped sky repost but I would also take a bit off the right.....keeping more of the proportions and focusing even more attention on the sand patterns. Very nicely handled and very nicely done! Simple....yet effective!

Hilary Hann
05-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Like the improvements in the repost.

Mike Fuhr
05-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks for all the comments and input everyone.:D

Dave Mills
05-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Hi Mike, I like the repost! nice job!!

Mike Fuhr
05-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Hi Mike, I like the repost! nice job!!

Thanks for the good ideas!

Michael Lloyd
05-17-2010, 06:00 PM
The repost is nice. I like Roman's suggestion. I love that part of the world. Every now and then I get to go to the general area for work. Red sky in the morning, sailor take warning... or something like that.

Mike Fuhr
05-17-2010, 08:48 PM
The repost is nice. I like Roman's suggestion. I love that part of the world. Every now and then I get to go to the general area for work. Red sky in the morning, sailor take warning... or something like that.

... red at night, sailor's delight.

I guess there was a bit for ominous foreshadowing regarding the oil spill, eh? :eek:

Michael Lloyd
05-17-2010, 09:01 PM
You know what's interesting (not the best choice of words) about that "oil" spill? The amount of time that it's been leaking vs the amount of damage that hasn't occurred, yet. It's a fairly sensitive topic but I'm not convinced that it's another Exxon Valdez... I'm not convinced that we are going to get off light either. It's just that there is a difference in the composition (this one is oil and gas being released at very high pressure in very cold deep ocean waters vs a huge blob of oil released at the surface in an enclosed sound). Anyway... I don't want to corrupt your thread with shop talk. I thought that you did a great job on exposure and composition.

Mike Fuhr
05-18-2010, 06:07 AM
You know what's interesting (not the best choice of words) about that "oil" spill? The amount of time that it's been leaking vs the amount of damage that hasn't occurred, yet. It's a fairly sensitive topic but I'm not convinced that it's another Exxon Valdez... I'm not convinced that we are going to get off light either. It's just that there is a difference in the composition (this one is oil and gas being released at very high pressure in very cold deep ocean waters vs a huge blob of oil released at the surface in an enclosed sound). Anyway... I don't want to corrupt your thread with shop talk. I thought that you did a great job on exposure and composition.

Thanks Michael.

It is an odd spill -- the currents have been holding the oil off sore so very little has come ashore yet. There are now some theories that a lot of it could get caught in the circle (?) current, making it move toward the Florida keys and beyond. As you said, very interesting and like nothing we have ever seen.

Michael Lloyd
05-18-2010, 06:18 AM
Thanks Michael.

It is an odd spill -- the currents have been holding the oil off sore so very little has come ashore yet. There are now some theories that a lot of it could get caught in the circle (?) current, making it move toward the Florida keys and beyond. As you said, very interesting and like nothing we have ever seen.

Yeah... the "loop" and the "eddy" current that peels off of it. Those are another interesting subject. I think that, because of the pressure and cold temperature at sea floor and and something called the joule thomson effect the bulk of the oil is stratifying along the floor and intermediate layers. Hydrocarbon is an interesting fluid. The single components all have differing boiling points but combined they can remain a liquid if the temperature is cold enough and the pressure is high enough. Time will tell...