05-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Hand held from a boat.
1d mkiii
300mm 2.8 + 1.4TC
1/1000 sec
f/7.1
iso 320
evaluative metering at zero

Processed with ACR and CS4, cloned out some distracting branches in the BG. otherwise normal processing

Oscar Vazquez-Ortiz
05-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Eyes and head in focus, very sharp. I like the dark background to contrast the white bird; however,
in my display is looks like the whites in the body are a bit blown out and the large
number of water lilies distract from the main presentation. On the other hand, they do add depth
to the photo.

Lance Peters
05-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Hi - Agree with Oscars critique - not crazy about the square crop - think I might have gone more of a landscape crop with this one unless there were BG elements you were not wanting to include.
Whites might be able to be recovered in the RAW conversion process.
Keep em coming :)

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
05-13-2010, 10:49 PM
Joel,

Greetings. A bit too much contrast... the whites are not blown, though. I toned down the whites (adding contrast to the whites not between the whites and background) with a couple of curves layers (added extra contrast in the body whites). There was also a bit of a magenta cast so I pulled up the green curve a bit to neutralize.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/yamo/images/AccessibleImages/343V9388_Edit.jpg

I think a bit less exposure would have pulled out more detail in the whites (maybe 1/3-1/2).

Cheers,

-Michael-

Dave Mills
05-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Hi Michael, I feel the repost is an improvement. I can see detail in the whites.
Some of the backround material is faintly showing and if it were mine I would eliminate them.
I might crop a bit off the top....

Jay Sheinfield
05-18-2010, 05:55 AM
sorry posted wrong thread................