PDA

View Full Version : Trillium

Myer Bornstein
05-13-2010, 03:50 PM
I found a small stand of Trillium grandeflorum. Nikon D300 18-105 Adjusted in PS
18-105mm @ 62mm
93mm (in 35mm film)
Subject dist: 0.45m
1/125 sec, f/16
Mode: Av
Metering: Multi-segment
Exp comp: -2/3
ISO: 800
White balance: Auto

Mike Moats
05-14-2010, 04:29 AM
Hey Myer, very nice details on the flower. I smaller f/stop in the f/8 range would have helped blur your background more. Also if you would have moved your camera to the left a little you could have avoided the tree trunk and had a more consistent background.

Myer Bornstein
05-14-2010, 04:46 AM
Thanks Mike
Will decrease the f stop next time
If i moved more to the left I would have had to lay in the poison ivy patch that was there

Desmond Chan
05-14-2010, 06:06 PM
I personally would like to see the background not that bright. Conventional thinking is the subject matter preferably should be brighter and our eyes usually get attracted by something bright. Good thing though that your subject matter is large enough ;)

Julie Kenward
05-15-2010, 08:52 AM
If i moved more to the left I would have had to lay in the poison ivy patch that was there.

You're excused! ;)

I do like the yellow backlighting but it is distracting from the flower in this case. I selected the trillium, opened levels and hit "auto" and it instantly brightened up the flower. I then reselected the flower, chose "inverse" (so the BG was now selected, opened another levels adjustment and lowered the midtone slider so the BG fell away a bit more. Opened up a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and lowered the yellows quite a bit so the light became softer. It's not perfect but it does show off the trillium a bit better. Just a thought for in the future...try to dust some of the dirt off the flower or look for a more "pristine" specimen so you don't have to do as much cloning in pp.

Very nice try for the deep woodsy area you were shooting in. Try it again sometime and expose for the flower - you can always darken the BG in pp.