PDA

View Full Version : Canon Custom functions

phil adair
05-13-2010, 10:17 AM
I have a couple of questions about the usefulness of some of the custom function setting whilst birding.

The answers would be in the context of using a 5D Mark II

C.FnIV -1 Shutter button/AF-On button

Does anyone use the #2 setting
Metering start/Metering + AF Start

C.Fn III -1 Lens drive when AF Impossible

Focus Search off

C.Fn 1 -2 ISO speed setting increments

1-stop

C.Fn 1 -3 ISO Expansion

On

C.Fn III -7 AF point area expansion

Enable

I've been using AF point expansion and it seem these other should make sense with a 5D2.

any others I should be thinking about?

I would probably save these in one of the Camera user setting slots

Colin Knight
05-13-2010, 11:40 AM
I don't use #2.

I like focus search off because the camera won't refocus on something distant (like a far away treeline)

I like ISO increments set to 1 stop. This allows for rapid exposure changes which are required many times. I like to fine tune my exposure with the shutter or aperture.

Your settings look good to me.

arash_hazeghi
05-13-2010, 05:04 PM
I have a couple of questions about the usefulness of some of the custom function setting whilst birding.

The answers would be in the context of using a 5D Mark II

C.FnIV -1 Shutter button/AF-On button
Does anyone use the #2 setting
Metering start/Metering + AF StartC.Fn III -1 Lens drive when AF Impossible
Focus Search offC.Fn 1 -2 ISO speed setting increments
1-stopC.Fn 1 -3 ISO Expansion
OnC.Fn III -7 AF point area expansion
EnableI've been using AF point expansion and it seem these other should make sense with a 5D2.

any others I should be thinking about?

I would probably save these in one of the Camera user setting slots

1) No
2) Focus search OFF helps eliminate hunting but camera may not focus in extreme defocus case, I set this to ON and use the limiter switch on the lens to eliminate hunting.
3) 1-stop
4) I don't use ISO more than 6400 so off.
5) expansion enable all the time for flight and perched, for macro work turn off the expansion or switch to single shot so that the camera would use center spot only.

What I would do is to set it with these and then use 1,2 and 3 positions on the top dial for different shooting condition, 1 is for normal BG, 2 is for sky BG, 3 is for bird in the shade . you can dial in different exp compensation for each case and camera will remember it, in the field with rapid changing light or when the bird moves against different BG you can snap change from C1 to C2 or C3 to maintain best exposure. This has saved my life quite a few times and I miss it on the MKIV.