PDA

View Full Version : Ranthambhore landscape

Sabyasachi Patra
05-13-2010, 04:05 AM
This tigress was stalking a deer down the slope on a warm summer evening at Ranthambhore Tiger Reserve, India. I could not see the deer. I thought of creating a landscape image with the tigress showing the environment. Is it becoming too difficult to spot the tigress?

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, Canon EF 24-105 F4 L IS at 32mm, ISO 400, f9, 1/160, hand held, full frame image. I was handholding and hence preferred using the 24-105 over my new 24-70 f2.8 L lens.

Look forward to your comments and critiques.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Dave Mills
05-13-2010, 07:53 AM
Hi, At first glance I didn't notice the tigress and then I read your statement. My eye went quickly to the 2 green bushes which noticeably stand out. Playing with a crop I took out the top portion down to a little above the center tree eliminating the upper green bush. This crop has a tendancy to bring more attention the the tigress while still showing it's environment. Another idea...

Hilary Hann
05-14-2010, 12:38 AM
I feel that the tigress is a little lost but I like the idea of showing her in her environment. Agree with Dave that the bright green bushes draw the eye more than the landscape itself or the tiger. Not sure what I would do with it if it were mine especially if moving position wasn't possible. Did you get any of her in stalking position on the slope which would have made her a little more prominent?

Sabyasachi Patra
05-14-2010, 05:46 AM
Hi Dave and Hilary,
Thanks for your comments.

I had all the focal lengths covered. I had the 300mm f4 attached with my 1D Mark II. Initially my Mark IV was attached with the 400 f2.8 and 2x TC. It was too much of focal length as I could only see a few stripes covering the entire frame. Then I shifted to wideangle. I checked the scene at 100mm and didn't like it, as the tiger was covering much of the scene. So I thought of creating a landscape image with a tigress thrown in to spice it up. From the comments it appears that the concoction misfired. :D

The tigress turned back and scent sprayed for marking its territory as well as defecated etc. Shot stills as well as clips with the Mark IV.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Roman Kurywczak
05-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Hey Sabyasachi,
This one isn't working for me for the above mentioned reasons....the tigress just get's too lost in the frame. I do realize that it is difficult to get an open shot of her in this environ.....but while the story of how well she blends in is clearly evident....just not enough other interest in the environs to hold my interest. Let's see how others feel.