Taken at bombay Hook De
Nikon D-300
500 mm awith 1.4 Tc
1/320 sec at f5.6
ISO 800
All Comments welcome!

Desmond Chan
05-12-2010, 11:41 PM
Other than what looks like a color cast all around, I think the bird itself is handled very well. It looks very good on my screen. It's likely that many would find the background a concern though. Personally, I would tone down the top half of the background or even crop a bit from the top.

Lance Peters
05-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Hi Bob - one easy way to correct the cast in P.S.

Duplicate the layer - Ctrl+j
Filter - Blur - Average (On the duplicate layer)
Invert the colour - Ctrl+I
Change the blending mode to colour (In the layers palette drop down box were it normally says NORMAL)
Change the opacity to about 25%

Instructions also in the educational resources forum.
:)

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
05-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Hi Bob - one easy way to correct the cast in P.S.

Duplicate the layer - Ctrl+j
Filter - Blur - Average (On the duplicate layer)
Invert the colour - Ctrl+I
Change the blending mode to colour (In the layers palette drop down box were it normally says NORMAL)
Change the opacity to about 25%

Instructions also in the educational resources forum.
:)

Lance,

Greetings. Hadn't heard of this technique before... unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work very well on this image (at least for me with the jpeg)... the whites end up differentially effected from the lit to shadow directions (wb from direct and reflected light across the whites). Interesting technique, though. Think it would work best in flat light conditions.

Bob,

I'd recommend going back to WB controls in raw conversion if this was shot in raw. There is a substantial cyan cast. (it looks a little better when I assign sRGB than the unmanaged view, since the color profile is not attached, but there is still a cast).

Nice detail in the whites (I'd be inclined to add a little contrast there). Nice peaceful environment.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Dave Mills
05-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Hi Michael, I took the liberty of working on your image. Using Auto Levels in PS in one click I took out the caste. The subject now has a warmer look to it.(it doesn't work all the time but it's the first thing I try to take out castes) I cropped the image and took out some of the more distracting reflections.There was a white area around the beak and when I took it all out the beak tended to blend too much into the backround so there appears to be a small halo...Worked on it rather quickly..

Lance Peters
05-13-2010, 04:06 PM
hi - just realy quick and rough --- as above on BG only.
Selected the bird only masked out the white area's and desaturated them. (Missed a bit down near the tail)

Oscar Vazquez-Ortiz
05-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Nice re-post Dave!

Bob Miller
05-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments and reposts....Looks like I got some work to do on this one...I am learning alot everyday on the forum...Thanks again!

Lance Peters
05-13-2010, 07:12 PM
I too prefer Daves repost - same ol principle - KISS - often the easiest way is the best!!!