PDA

View Full Version : Coachwhip in Pond

Arthur Morris
05-12-2010, 09:24 PM
This coachwhip went for a swim in a pond in front of a water level blind on the Santa Clara Ranch in Starr County, TX. The image was created with the Canon 800mm f/5.6 L IS lens, a 25mm Extension tube, and the EOS-1D Mark IV. ISO 1600. Evaluative metering +1 stop: 1/320 sec. at f/5.6. Fill flash at -3 stops with Better Beamer.

There will be more on this great ranch (including contact info) in the next BAA Bulletin.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome. :)

Arthur Morris
05-12-2010, 09:27 PM
To get the snake's head well off center I quickly chose a lower right center. Being intimately familiar with your camera can help you to create better images.

Tony Whitehead
05-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Love the sharp snout/eye and shallow DOF. The sinuous OOF body in the BG really ads a lot to the image. Are these poisonous?

Dan Brown
05-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Nice shot of a cool, fast snake Artie! I too like the OOF body in the bg.

Bob Miller
05-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Hi Artie....Lovely image....the sheen in the water and the oof body curve in the bg make this image for me

Steve Kaluski
05-13-2010, 02:11 AM
I like the POV Artie & comp as expected :), however I'm not sure about the 'white' band/reflection that runs partly through, below the head, however my eye is drawn to the highlight on the 'S' bend of the body in the BG.

TFS
Steve

Tom Graham
05-13-2010, 02:30 AM
Interesting. Agree with Steve about light bands.
Tom

Sabyasachi Patra
05-13-2010, 02:43 AM
Hi Artie,
Nice low angle. The out of focus body in the background frames the head nicely. However, the bright reflections in the body and the water, albeit toned down, takes away bit of attention. I agree that one needs to be intimately familiar with his or her equipment to get the desired images. Thanks for the message.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Arthur Morris
05-13-2010, 03:44 AM
Thanks all for sharing your thoughts. This species is not poisonous.

Alfred Forns
05-13-2010, 06:34 AM
Like the low angle and precise head positioning, going on the fly to a different sensor point is fast thinking. Like that a lot but would not have expected any different.

The two white bands do attract attention from the subject, one close to the head is merging and leading you out of the frame the one made by the body is large and pulls your eye !! ... should dig up the one from Waco when you came down, one fine looking sample !!!

Arthur Morris
05-13-2010, 07:28 AM
I like the POV Artie & comp as expected :), however I'm not sure about the 'white' band/reflection that runs partly through, below the head, however my eye is drawn to the highlight on the 'S' bend of the body in the BG. TFS Steve

Actually, I love the image as is. Without the two lighter bands the viewers eye would go right to the snake's face and stay there. The image would be quite boring for me with an evenly toned background. As presented, your eye goes right to the face, then follows the line of the snake to the s-curve highlight on the back, and is then drawn back to the face by the lighter line behind the head. At least that's my take on the situation :)

Different strokes....

Steve Kaluski
05-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Hi Artie, we all see things differently and 'art' is so subjective.

In making comments as feedback it becomes 'personal' I think, (in the nicest possible way)? As the photographer, you took it for the reasons outlined above and on reflection you have a point. I guess we all make our points on viewing it first off, gut reaction. Perhaps there should be a time delay where we revisit the image several times before putting 'fingers to keyboard', as we might change our thoughts and views having looked at it more closely?

However, I still feel that a slight 'toning' down of those areas would still work, although Mr Rouse would also say I'm mad too :)

All the best
Steve ;)

Arthur Morris
05-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Agree on all except taking my time :) :)

Steve Kaluski
05-13-2010, 10:18 AM
LOL! :)

Colin Knight
05-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Nice, Artie. You're loving that fill flash at -3 stops lately aren't you? I've seen a couple like that recently.

On another note, I don't know of any "poisonous" snakes- only venomous.

Morkel Erasmus
05-13-2010, 05:56 PM
I really like the low angle here Artie! Great DOF takes this over the top. I see the merits in both yours and Steve's points, but for my tastes it's extremely cool as presented, good use of thirds in composing too and nice to see the focus point selected...

Stu Bowie
05-14-2010, 12:26 AM
Great DOF effect here, and love the sharpness of the head. Good to see the OOF curved body of the snake in the BG.

Arthur Morris
05-14-2010, 05:13 AM
Nice, Artie. You're loving that fill flash at -3 stops lately aren't you? I've seen a couple like that recently. On another note, I don't know of any "poisonous" snakes- only venomous.

With the Beamer in place while working at close range, -3 stops usually provides just a hint of flash. If the images look over-flashed on the LCD at -3 stops, I can either lower the diffusion screen or remove the Fresnel.

Arthur Morris
05-14-2010, 05:15 AM
I really like the low angle here Artie! Great DOF takes this over the top. I see the merits in both yours and Steve's points, but for my tastes it's extremely cool as presented, good use of thirds in composing too and nice to see the focus point selected...

Hi Mork-man, Been missing you. You say "cool,"--thanks! It was a lot cooler until I took all the blue out of the highlight on the back!

Harshad Barve
05-15-2010, 01:42 AM
Guruji
Yet another winner from you, I liked this very much as posted, IMHO that S band adds so much here
TFS

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-21-2010, 01:26 AM
Excellent image and quick thinking Maestro, guruji! :)

I totally agree regarding knowing your camera controls. Like the placement of the subject and the framing. Good looking snake indeed. If I may be so bold, and remember English IS my SECOND language, that the correct term would be to say venomous snake, not poisonous. If I am right, an animal is venomous to touch, or has a venomous bite but is posionous to eat. I am sure you will correct my misinformation if such is the case, Maestro. :)

cheers :)

Arthur Morris
05-21-2010, 07:00 AM
Yes, "venemous" snake is more correct than "poisonous" though some folks are OK with the latter.