PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise at Mesa Arch

Roman Kurywczak
02-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Taken at Canyonlands NP as the sun cleared the mountains. I have many shots of this arch, but this is the first winter shot. The colors are more vibrant as the sun angle is lower. Canon Mark3 and the 17-40mm lens at 24mm and f22 for 0.8 sec. at ISO 100. I also used a Singh Ray Strip ND filter and a Lee Enhancing filter stacked.
As always, comments welcomed and appreciated,
Roman

Small Group Photo Tours
www.roaminwithroman.com (http://www.roaminwithroman.com)

Steve Maxson
02-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Beautiful reds, great starburst sun - I like it a lot.

Paul Marcellini
03-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Great shot of an icon. How early did you have to get there for a spot? =) I like how the mountains nestle into the arch.

Harold Brewer
03-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Personally I love it. I am really not up to given critiques on Landscapes because I am still in the learning stage. This image makes want to be able to go to this area and see what I can come up with. Great shot in my opion .

Robert Amoruso
03-02-2008, 10:40 AM
I like how you did the framing with the arch and the f/22 sunburst is cool. The BG is a little low in contrast as compared to the FG - something that happens when shooting into the sun. You might try selecting the BG mountains and doing some local contrast enhancement.

Roman Kurywczak
03-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Hi All,
Robert..I'll definitely try that.
Paul........As iwas there in early Feb.......there were no crowds.....but I have been there at other times with 20 photographers......but I got to the Arch 30 minutes before sunrise! I was first and had choice.
Harold....since you are a self proclaimed beginner...............get up early and stay out late........Arches NP is a perfect place for such trips as it offers many opportunities around each corner.
Thanks all,
Roman

Travis Novitsky
03-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Beautiful image, Roman. Love the starburst and the colors are superb. The sun may be a bit overpowering in the composition, but not annoyingly so. There are a few lens flares in the foreground and middle of the image that I would try and clean up a bit.

Rich Ikerd
03-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Great image of this icon Roman. I can never tire of seeing wonderful and colorful images from the Canyonlands area. Always gets the creative juices flowing again.