PDA

View Full Version : The Sea Was Angry That Day, My Friends...

Mike Fuhr
05-12-2010, 07:10 PM
My friends Danny, Mike and I took a trip to Grand Isle, Louisiana several weeks ago. It happened that it was just a few days following the news that an oil platform had exploded off this coast and an oil leak was suspected. We had no idea how bad it would end up being.

I took this shot while trying to capture some BIF shots in not so great conditions. The wind was blowing making for a salty haze and an angry sea. I stopped for a moment and noticed Mike staring out to sea. I'm quite certain he was wondering about the recent news -- I thought this shot captured the mood of the moment.

D300
100-300 mm
100 mm
1/800
ISO 800
F4 (-.33)
(I know, odd settings, see above)
Hand held

Dave Mills
05-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Hi Mike, I feel you captured a mood with the B/W conversion.
I noticed you shot the image at F4. If you had used a higher Fstop the foreground would have been sharper. Often when one shoots HH it forces a lower fstop for speed but DOF is sacraficed.
If this were mine I would crop about 30% of the sky and on the right about half way to the person...

Mike Fuhr
05-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Hi Mike, I feel you captured a mood with the B/W conversion.
I noticed you shot the image at F4. If you had used a higher Fstop the foreground would have been sharper. Often when one shoots HH it forces a lower fstop for speed but DOF is sacraficed.
If this were mine I would crop about 30% of the sky and on the right about half way to the person...

I agree on the DOF -- I shifted gears for a few seconds, but didn't have the tripod with me unfortunately.

Roy Priest
05-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Mike, your sure captured the mood perfectly. Love the Seinfeld reference, did you find any golfballs?

Sabyasachi Patra
05-13-2010, 04:00 AM
I agree that the black and white has lent a mood to this image. A narrow aperture would have been good, but I understand your reasons. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mike Fuhr
05-13-2010, 05:30 AM
Mike, your sure captured the mood perfectly. Love the Seinfeld reference, did you find any golfballs?

No golf balls and Kramer was nowhere to be seen...

Roman Kurywczak
05-16-2010, 09:43 AM
Hey Mike,
Finishing up my Arches tour....so have some time this afternoon.....AS mentioned above....nice mood conveyed here. I do like Dave's crop recommendation as it would only further emphasize the person and the nice sand pattern. Nice choice of conversion here!

Mike Fuhr
05-26-2010, 06:29 AM
Hey Mike,
Finishing up my Arches tour....so have some time this afternoon.....AS mentioned above....nice mood conveyed here. I do like Dave's crop recommendation as it would only further emphasize the person and the nice sand pattern. Nice choice of conversion here!

Thanks Roman. Hope you had a great trip!