PDA

View Full Version : Watching an Approacing Intruder

Jim Fenton
05-12-2010, 06:40 PM
As mom was coming back to the nest, another adult bald eagle from a nest 5 miles away lost to high winds in April approaches from the SE, catching her attention.

Image created in stronger light than I would have liked, even though it was after 5:00 PM....one of those days I would have loved to have filtered light from the suns position in the west as I so often do at this location.

Now...the underwing shadows don't bother me...how about the rest of you?

Nikon D300s, 600VR, F7.1, ISO640, 1/1600, NearUniWB preset, CW Metering, +.7 EV (hoping to get as much underwing detail as possible as it was partially shadowed while not blowing the whites)

PS...I apologize for not offering many comments lately but I promise I'll start catching up on that aspect. I've been helping friends to manage a large camera store move and I've been doing 14 hour days lately :(

Fabs Forns
05-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Excellent wingspan shown here. There's a noticeable shadow/highlight halo around the bird and I wish the bill was not merging with the wing.
Hope your absence means you have been very busy :)

Jim Fenton
05-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Hmmm....Can't see a halo on this end although I assume you're talking about in the blue portion Fabs? I'll have to look at it on another monitor.

I have been busy..mostly for a future job consideration which I hope might pan out before too long :)

Off to the beach for a week of shorebirds, terns and laughing gulls next week so hopefully I'll have some cool stuff from there :)

stuart wanuck
05-12-2010, 07:02 PM
your the man love those eagle images when are you inviting me to partake with these eagles? congrats

Fabs Forns
05-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Yes, Jim, it's in the blue sky, consistent with S/H use.
Glad it's job related. In these times that is a good thing.

Troy Lim
05-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Jim, I see the halo as well. Good shot.

Juan Aragonés
05-13-2010, 02:31 AM
I agree with Fabs that the halo seems to be a collateral effect of the S/H filter. I never use this filter without a a mask to protect the BG and the difference is awesome. Most important thing is that the image is fantastic, love the pose with the head turn :)

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Awesome capture Jim and I don't know how I missed this beauty. Incredible pose and superb wing span and feather detail. Congratulations on a fine image !!