PDA

View Full Version : Dullstroom Milky Way

Morkel Erasmus
05-12-2010, 04:58 PM
I have started dabbling in starscapes recently, partly inspired by my people like Roman K and Mark Dumbleton.

We were at the Field-and-Stream lodge between Dullstroom and Tonteldoos on the South African highveld over the weekend, and having a new camera and lens in hand meant I spent more time taking photos than trying to land trout on my fly-rod.

This was shot from the front of the house we stayed in. The hill at the back slopes upward so I straightened my view by the uprightness of the trees.

All comments most welcome. I love that you can bring out more colours in the stars than what your eye can pick up.

Techs:
Canon 7D with 10-22mm USM @ 10mm
f3.5; 25s; ISO-2000
tripod mounted, painted trees with torch

Nick Palmieri
05-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Nice job Morkel, I think Roman would have cranked the ISO higher (just for kicks), but the exposure looks very good to me. I think the colors in the sky and milky way are gorgeous. I would have cropped near the base of the tree so there is not so much negative space on the bottom. I was not there but it may have also been stronger if you offset the trees a bit so they are not in the middle of the frame. You painted the trees with a torch...please don't give Roman any ideas!!!

Dave Mills
05-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Hi Morkel, Nice full view of the milky way. Good job painting the trees. Not a dynamic subject but still has interest. I would of preferred you lighting the base of trees to give them an anchor.

Morkel Erasmus
05-13-2010, 12:49 PM
thanks for the detailed feedback Dave & Nick...

I have shots where I illuminated the base of the trees, but they were standing on a lush green lawn which didn't fit the mood I wanted for this shot.

Roman Kurywczak
05-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Hey Morkel,
I don't mind the placement of the trees as the Milky Way is the star but I do agree that the base would have been nicer....but do understand your choice after the explanation. There is a huge difference between camera bodies and noise. The Mark lll is clearly superior to all the other Canon Bodies (except perhaps the Mark lV).....same goes for the Nikon D3 (I have a client with the D300)......so choose what your camera can handle.....after that....spend even more money on an f2:D lens!
Do remember that night film shots had tons of noise.....so I take noise comments with a grain of salt. Besides....noise reduction products will constantly improve....so take an image at ISO 6400.....just for the future.
Hope this helps!

Michael Lloyd
05-17-2010, 06:04 PM
I get what you were trying to do but the sloping hill in the background makes me want to rotate the image.

Did you know that your stars are not in the same orientation as ours are :D

Morkel Erasmus
05-17-2010, 11:56 PM
thanks Roman & Michael...yes I know our stars are different, but haven't gone into the technicals on that :)