PDA

View Full Version : Lion with zebra leg

Tom Graham
05-12-2010, 04:40 PM
This taken in Maasai Mara, Sep of 2006. Lion is young male maybe 2(?) years old. His pride was on a zebra kill. Perhaps a little lower perspective would be nice. About eye contact, I'm not sure if contact with viewer is necessary here because of the "action". Do you feel that eye contact is not important if subject is in "behavior" mode". But if a portrait, eye contact is important?
The usual color balance, saturation, sharpening etc. Slight cropping, no cloning, f8, 1/320, ISO 400, 202mm (35mm equiv).
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/c8ad41227cde41834bc16bf1814504776g.jpg
All comments and re-posts most welcome.
Tom

Alfred Forns
05-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Hi Tom

I think the eye contact is right at the place it should be, toward the area the lion is moving, if he looks at the camera might run into something !!!!

Just feel the image is tight, would like more room at the bottom for the virtual feet and slight more at the left side !! Big plus having the leg in the mouth Angle wise it is fine and I know its not possible to get lower !! I like it a lot !!!

nothsafoto
05-13-2010, 03:16 AM
The angle of the lion and the fact that it is carrying the leg joint make for a great capture Tom. The eyes are well exposed and sharp so the angle is correct even if it is not staring down the barrel of the lens. I think personally that unless you are taking close up portraits of animals (head and shoulders and the like) then direct eye contact is not so important. as long as they are visible and critically sharp the direction is less relevant. I agree with Art that a little more room for feet and walking space would be good.

Sabyasachi Patra
05-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Tom,
I agree with Alfred. It is good to give some space for the animal. As far as white balance is concerned, it looks a bit on the yellow side. This is perhaps your best shot that I have seen till date.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Tom Graham
05-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Crop too tight, crop not tight enough, drives me crazy!!!! - Just kidding
I do agree crop is a bit tight especially at bottom. I have a series of this and this one to me had the best lion head, eye, right leg position of lion, and zebra leg position in mouth. Could fix it with PS, but not worth it at this point. If not for the zebra leg, I would hardly consider it a keeper.
Thanks all.
Tom

Morkel Erasmus
05-13-2010, 04:29 PM
I like this Tom. Lower angle not always possible on game viewers...but I would have loved at least space for the "virtual" legs. Colour and sharpness are tops. Eye contact isn't always a biggy for me - depends on either the action or the "story" of the image.

Stu Bowie
05-14-2010, 12:29 AM
Tom, the light and colours look good, and just love those eyes. The zebra leg in the mouth adds interest to the image, and more space below for the virtual legs would have been even better.

Harshad Barve
05-15-2010, 01:45 AM
I liked this very much I posted. If this was mine and IQ sustains I would have cropped this very tight
Excellent image
TFS

Tom Graham
05-15-2010, 02:24 AM
Harshad - thanks, I hadn't tried more crop. Others have suggested less. So here it is "less" and "more" crop-
This what you were thinking of?
.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/c03e94b9be58519890766b0802f092a86g.jpg
Tom

Harshad Barve
05-15-2010, 02:28 AM
Your tighter versions works very well for me:)
TFS

Tom Graham
05-15-2010, 02:32 AM
Does for me also :)
Thanks for suggesting it!
Tom