PDA

View Full Version : More bugs posing as spiders

Charissa
05-12-2010, 02:40 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/dfkgnc.jpg
I seem to like the spiders better than any other kind of bug..:D Difficult to get the whites correctly exposed with a ring flash, so any ideas would help. Did some selective sharpening, and removed some sensor dust spots. (Should probably clean the sensor some time, they get more and more.)
Canon MPE 65mm
F16, ss 250, Spot metering.
Canon ring flash used.
Comments and help will be appreciated.:)

Mike Moats
05-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Hey Charissa, very cool image, love the details and the contrast of the white on red. Very nice!

denise ippolito
05-13-2010, 06:09 AM
Charissa, This looks like an alien. Very cool details and comp.

Julie Kenward
05-13-2010, 07:32 AM
I don't have a twin flash so I can't help you there. You might email Roman Kuryczak (I think I spelled that right!) and ask him for ideas. Still, I think the lighting is pretty darn good here. I might tone down the back right side of the spider's body by cloning over it with "darken" and 20% opacity and see if that brings it back a little.

Beautiful capture and pose. Excellent use of color (yellow pollen with the red BG and the white body...outstanding!)

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Nice details here. I like the ''happy'' face of this bug. Can't help you about the flash, I don't have one like yours.

Jack Faller
05-13-2010, 09:27 AM
For whatever reason the spider's back seems too bright to me; I'd darken it some and perhaps try to add more
definition by selecting the whites on the back with select color range, copying to a new layer and using blend mode multiply or linear burn. It's a great image with excellent detail except for the far right legs.

Jerry van Dijk
05-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Hi Charissa, another cool spider! I like your composition here. Regarding the flash: the whites look a bit fluorescent to me. You may want to experiment with your white balance settings.
Is that pollen on its legs? The MPE 65 does capture detail! I wonder whether these spiders play any role in pollinating flowers.

Charissa
05-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments and help. Yes, it is pollen, it was moving around in the flower, where it later caught a very small flying insect.
Julie and Jack, u both lost me with the Photoshop advise, I am sure it will work, but have no idea how to go about it.... Julie, how do i clone with darken? do i create a new layer, and do it on that?
Jack, how do i select with new color range, and then, how do i copy to new layer? The multiply, must i create a new multiply layer?
Thanks again for all the advise, appreciate.