PDA

View Full Version : Angry lioness!

Ajit Huilgol
05-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Even if horror movies scare the @£$%^&* out of you, those experiences pale into insignificance when you face up to an angry lioness! Believe me! She must have thought that we were too close to her cubs for comfort, I guess. But, whatever reason she had, the message was loud and clear: get out of here! Which we did, pronto!
Date: May, 2009
Equip: Canon 1D Mlll, Canon 500 f4 with 1.4 TC
Specs: ISO 400, f9, 1/80s, beanbag on vehicle

Thank you for taking the time out to look, and for your comments/critiques

Alfred Forns
05-12-2010, 06:21 PM
In your face and high impact !!! Would have moved pronto also !!!

Love the sharpness and detail but most of all the expression of anger/threat then the little splashes of flowers next to her ! Big Congrats on this one !!!

Tom Graham
05-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Love her emotion you captured. No doubt about what her message is. Good crop. Technicals look perfect. Great for 1/80s. Can even count the legs on the flies!!!!
Tom

Sabyasachi Patra
05-13-2010, 03:07 AM
Ajit,
Sharpness is great despite the 1/80s shutter speed. Slightly more space at the bottom would have strengthened the image. It is better to be careful when you are with a mom and cubs. Look forward to more.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Steve Kaluski
05-13-2010, 03:39 AM
Hi Ajit, surprised this has got so little comments compared to others with less impact and quality?

The image in gauges the reader, perfect!

I'm not a lover of square comps because they just don't work, but this seems too and guess it's your only option. The impact & aggression has been summed up well, the crushed nose, snarl, bearing of teeth all give this image the WOW factor. Having the plague of flies also gives it more substance.

I might just slightly lighten the face as there is some fine detail that could come out ie around the eyes, plus it's running a fraction warm on the magenta side for me.

I do like the image, but always ask the question, why an animal like this takes this action and I can only assume that you have entered her 'comfort' zone, something we ALL need to be aware of. Long lenses allow you to stay within a safe distance, however Ajit I think you know the lines drawn.

I only make this point to any readers who might think it is 'cool' to get up close & personal'. Do so and we might not get to see your images. Stay safe at all time. ;)

TFS
Steve

nothsafoto
05-13-2010, 03:56 AM
You feel your heart start to race when they give you this look. Well composed and tack sharp for the techs. Scared me even in the safety of my office in UK!!

Ajit Huilgol
05-13-2010, 07:17 AM
Steve, as tourists, we are at the mercy of the drivers, and if the driver decides to take the vehicle up close, then we have no choice. Yes, we can ask him to hold back, but you know how it is, we are 'outsiders' and amateurs, and drivers tell us that they know their job, and know how close they can go.....

Steve Kaluski
05-13-2010, 07:43 AM
Hi Ajit, if I feel the driver is too close, or that there is a better angle then we move, simple, not questions asked.

I will always discuss this, no problem and hopefully a profitable dialogue will happen and we all win from the discussion. At the end of the day 'Guides' hopefully will know how to approach the animal in the right way and when to go close, or to back off. For me, I'm paying them to do a job, if I am unhappy about getting to close and the 'comfort' zone is broken we back off, no question, or if we both feel we can get a little bit closure to the animal without distress, disturbance, causing issue etc, then fine.

There is also the issue that 'guests/tourist' push the driver/guide/tracker to get close as they have no understanding about the animals and the driver wants 'his' guests to enjoy, invariably hoping the tip might be better. This is not always the case, but is becoming an issue in places. I think it just comes down to the people you get as guides.

For me, at the end of the day 'I'm the client' who is paying them, therefore if I say pull out we do. My ultimate concern is for the welfare of the animal first & foremost, the shot is second. Personally I have found it to be more rewarding in the long run...

Steve Kaluski
05-13-2010, 07:44 AM
Hi Ajit, if I feel the driver is too close, or that there is a better angle then we move, simple, not questions asked.

I will always discuss this, no problem and hopefully a profitable dialogue will happen and we all win from the discussion. At the end of the day 'Guides' hopefully will know how to approach the animal in the right way and when to go close, or to back off. For me, I'm paying them to do a job, if I am unhappy about getting to close and the 'comfort' zone is broken we back off, no question, or if we both feel we can get a little bit closure to the animal without distress, disturbance, causing issue etc, then fine.

There is also the issue that 'guests/tourist' push the driver/guide/tracker to get close as they have no understanding about the animals and the driver wants 'his' guests to enjoy, invariably hoping the tip might be better. This is not always the case, but is becoming an issue in places. I think it just comes down to the people you get as guides.

For me, at the end of the day 'I'm the client' who is paying them, therefore if I say pull out we do. My ultimate concern is for the welfare of the animal first & foremost, the shot is second. Personally I have found it to be more rewarding in the long run...

Tom Graham
05-14-2010, 11:26 PM
A bit off topic but since Steve opened up above, a little story about a guide I had last Sep. at Kirkmans Camp, South Africa, rangers name was Grant. Six of us in open Land Rover, mid morning, and we came upon a lone male doing what lions like to do, sleeping, flat cat. After a few moments of non-excitement a lady guest said to Grant - "let's drive up close and wake him up, no one will care" Grant replied - "I care, he's my friend". I told Grant later what a perfect answer that was. Grant and just about every camp guide I've had very much realize that we are the visitors in the animals home. The animals allow us to be around them at their pleasure. Don't screw it up. If a guide puts pressure on a an animal (like lion above), that lion may never allow our closeness again.

Tom

Harshad Barve
05-15-2010, 01:49 AM
mighty fine image on all counts
TFS

Įkos Lumnitzer
05-25-2010, 04:44 AM
What an AWESOME image Ajitbhai. The expression is totally overwhelming and mighty scary too. Well done for quick thinking and the execution. The flies, while they do add to the scene, are not my fave animals. :(
Well done mate and thanks so much for sharing this one. One of the best big cat images I have seen! :)
Cheers