PDA

View Full Version : Acorn Woodpecker

Joe Brown
05-12-2010, 08:16 AM
This shot was taken in Paradise. That's right, at the George Walker House in Paradise AZ near Portal on the edge of the Chiricahua National Monument Forest. The George Walker House is a B&B with a large number of feeders open to the public.
5D MKII, 300mm 2.8, 1.4 TC, tripod
f5.6, 1/640, ISO 400,
cropped, B/C, S/H, Smart Sharpen, burn highlights.

All comments welcome
Joe

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
05-12-2010, 08:43 AM
Does sound like a paradise place to me.

You have a nice curious pose here with feet and tail visible and a good HA. I might crop more off the left and tried to tone down highlight on the forehead more.

Dave Mills
05-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Hi Joe,Good pose with an interesting subject.Agree about taking a small bit off the left. There are some hot areas I would tone down.The branch is one and the cone in another. You might want to clone out some of the brighter backround areas on the top and bottom.Finally I would have preferred the beak not merging with the cone...

Fabs Forns
05-12-2010, 01:20 PM
A few tweaking, as suggested, may improve this image a lot. When the BG is busy, sometimes making it darker around the edges helps the eye be more comfortable.

Lance Peters
05-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Hi Joe - good suggestions given already - does appear there are a couple of hotspots.
Do you have your overexposure blinkies turned on??
Looking forward to seeing more :)

Ann Fiske
05-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Love your image Joe. Nice pose and angle. Happy to see the white wing patch, as well as the underside of this interesting woodpecker.
Agree with others suggestions.

Ray Rozema
05-13-2010, 08:24 PM
Like the pose and eye contact which can be hard to get with these. Agree with above suggestions.

Ray Ropzema