PDA

View Full Version : Water Lilies in Color

Mark Fuge
05-12-2010, 05:46 AM
This image was taken at Lion Country Safari and was posted earlier in another theme week.

Modifications in CS4 included; Vibrance & Saturation, Exposure – Offset & Gamma adjustment, Ink Outline, Color Balance and Hue & Saturation adjustments.

Enjoy!

denise ippolito
05-12-2010, 06:58 AM
Hi Mark, I remember this one. I love the asian flair and the colors. I was thinking that odd numbers often work well in design and the empty space was a good place for a third flower. You could spend more time to make the flower look different from the top one if you like the way it looks. I just selected the flower put it on it's own layer then added a layer mask and did some touch ups w/ the clone tool. Let me know your thoughts.:)

Mark Fuge
05-12-2010, 07:38 AM
Thanks for viewing and comments, Denise.

That's another vision. ;) Agree with the rule of 3s ... :D

Appreciate your time and effort.

Haven't had much time this week to visit, other than posting. Hopefully life will return to normal soon.

Christopher Miller
05-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Very nice color combination, Mark. I like Denise's addition of a third waterlily. It completes the composition IMO.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
05-13-2010, 02:10 AM
Hi Mark,
Repost rocks and I really love the Asian colours. Sweet :)
Best,
Nicki

Anita Bower
05-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Very nice! I love the red lily pads! Lovely texture on them. The addition of the third flower was a plus. This is a case in which the frame detracts from the image, I think because it does not have that gorgeous texture. Just my view.

Mark Fuge
05-13-2010, 10:08 AM
Thanks all for viewing and comments. Appreciate it.

Anita, in real life, I'm one for simple frames ... black metal with off white matte. But this just came to be. I thought the red with black went with the image and ... well you see the results!

As always, appreciate all comments though. To each their own. ;)

Anita Bower
05-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Thanks all for viewing and comments. Appreciate it.

Anita, in real life, I'm one for simple frames ... black metal with off white matte. But this just came to be. I thought the red with black went with the image and ... well you see the results!

As always, appreciate all comments though. To each their own. ;)

I think this mat and frame works fairly well, just not as seemless as the prior one I commented on. One of the fun things about digital is being able to experiment like this. Since you mention how you mat and frame in real life, I'm wondering how this image would look framed with an off white mat. I used to mat all my prints with white or off white. But, I'm starting to wonder if that is the right approach for some images, especially if they are going to be displayes in someone's home, not in a gallery or museum.

Cheryl Slechta
05-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Mark, I love the combination of colors with the deep reds and yellows. I agree that the 3rd lily is a plus.

Mark Fuge
05-17-2010, 04:18 PM
I think this mat and frame works fairly well, just not as seemless as the prior one I commented on. One of the fun things about digital is being able to experiment like this. Since you mention how you mat and frame in real life, I'm wondering how this image would look framed with an off white mat. I used to mat all my prints with white or off white. But, I'm starting to wonder if that is the right approach for some images, especially if they are going to be displayes in someone's home, not in a gallery or museum.

Sorry for the delay in finding your comments. Life gets in the way sometimes! :D

I would agree that not all would like the simple frame and mat. I however, would offer what they want, if they want it changed. There are so many options that it is impossible to show all. I think the off white is best for 85-90% of my images. I have tried others, to work with the image, in the past and personally the enjoyment for me was very short lived. But that is my tastes, not theirs.

For this forum, I like the black with the ultra colors we are working with the past few weeks, that is why I have changed from white here. I feel it really pops the colors more than white would. Again, I tired white but ... not for me here. ;)

I've tried to find the right settings for the off-white in the PS color palett, but so far with no luck so white it is. But as my wife knows, white would not be there if I had a better alternative. ;)

Mark Fuge
05-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks Cheryl for viewing and comment. Appreciate it.

Anita Bower
05-18-2010, 04:44 AM
Mark: I appreciate your thoughts on framing. thank you.

Mark Fuge
05-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Mark: I appreciate your thoughts on framing. thank you.

Likewise Anita. ;)