PDA

View Full Version : Pelicans at sunrise

Deborah Hanson
05-11-2010, 11:09 PM
First attempt here. Really impressed with the creativity seen in this forum. I am trying to develop beyond 'what you see, is what you get' - but it isn't easy.
For this image - I just enhanced the glow from the morning light on the reeds and lightened the water a bit in Lightroom. Then applied the glow filter from NikSoftware. Not sure of the result. Appreciate any comments.

Thanks in advance.
Deb

denise ippolito
05-12-2010, 06:46 AM
Deb, First of all big welcome to OOTB! This is a fantastic first post here. I love the softness and glow you have applied. The image has a night time feel. I think the URC could be opened up just a bit to match the other side. I there anyway you could add just a hint more light on the 3 back Peli's. Very cool look and well done!:)

Mark Fuge
05-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Nice image and application, Deborah.

Welcome to OOTB. You will learn a lot and from what you posted can offer help to others here as well. Just jump in and enjoy the ride! ;)

I like the lighting effect and the reflections. I might suggest offsetting the large Pelican a little to the right. But nice image.

Christopher Miller
05-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Welcome to OOTB, Deborah, and very nice image to start with! :) Love the lighting and reflections. Beautiful effects. Agree totally with the suggestions made by Denise and Indranil.

Deborah Hanson
05-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. I had wondered about the placement of the pelicans because the front 2 are looking one way and the back 3 are looking the other. Wasn't sure which corner to have them look towards. I shifted them to the other side and it seems to work a bit better. So thank you.
I also lightened the rushes all the way across and that also opens the image up a bit. Unfortunately, the shadows on the pelicans are deep and I can only lighten the faces somewhat.

Thanks again for help and welcome into this forum.
Deb

Nicki Gwynn Jones
05-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Deborah, had to rush to work earlier and ran out of time, so a belated welcome to OOTB :)
I like this a lot. I love the quality of light on the birds and I might even go so far as to darken down the top a little more. Those beaks are a great colour!!
Best,
Nicki

Cheryl Slechta
05-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Deborah - welcome to OOTB! I like the image a lot - the lighting is beautiful and I love the rich dark colors.
Beautiful work:)