PDA

View Full Version : Tree hugger 2

Hilary Hann
05-11-2010, 05:36 AM
Another in my continuing experiment with antique looks for my animals.
Taken back in 2005 at Lake Nakuru National Park
20D; 75-300 @ 300; f5.6; 1/250; ISO200

My young daughter says that it doesn't do anything to hold her interest, she may be right but I'll post it anyway! :o

Grant Atkinson
05-11-2010, 05:48 AM
Hi Hillary, I really liked your composition, makes me think he has been 'reading' the marks on the tree trunk. Thoughtful. Your finishing effect certainly gives the image a very different feel to a typical African environment shot. I would prefer the white vignette to be a little more opaque but just my own taste. I like this image.
TFS
Grant

Hilary Hann
05-11-2010, 06:09 AM
Thanks Grant, appreciate the feedback.

paul leverington
05-11-2010, 08:05 AM
Absolutely love the shot Hiallry as it has a nice comp. I'm not so crazy about the vignette or at least the type of vignette. As far as your daughter not liking this I'd say it's more a guy pic...

Paul

Alfred Forns
05-11-2010, 09:09 AM
You did achieve an antique effect Hilary Might tweak and increase the contrast just a bit without going over, just subtle !!! Like the experimentation !!!!

Tom Graham
05-11-2010, 04:25 PM
The marks on tree, his attempt at self portrait? Or? I don't like to wonder about such things in a picture, even if that is the photographer's message, to make me scratch my head like a monkey :)
Tom

Hilary Hann
05-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Al, I agree with the comment regarding the contrast and I certainly lost some zing when changing profile. I think it is a pleasant photo but not much more but it is helping me with my latest 'antique' project and the more and varying images I try developing my techniques on, the faster I will master it! That's the theory anyway. ;)

Tom, sometimes you are too cryptic for me but thank you for viewing! :D

nothsafoto
05-12-2010, 04:01 AM
Hilary, the antique effect works well and the composition is spot on. I agree with Al that a subtle boost in contrast (especially around the eyes) will lift it.

Steve Canuel
05-13-2010, 07:56 PM
I like this shot in your antique series too. Wish more of that tree trunk was filling the white space behind the head.

Hilary Hann
05-13-2010, 08:04 PM
Thank you Steve, I wished for more trunk too and considered cloning, but ultimately that would have very difficult to achieve realistically with the baboon's hair. I have FluidMask software which does a pretty good job of masking around hair but wasn't sure whether the image warranted the effort.