PDA

View Full Version : Left Eye dominant

phil adair
05-10-2010, 06:33 PM
I'm left eye Dominant and just realized it's a problem. Shooting sports it never seemed to bother me probably since the subjects are quite large and their actions are fairly predictable.

Yesterday I was trying to capture some Little Terns in flight with my 120-300 + 1.4tc and it dawned on my that if I were able to use my right eye on the viewfinder with some training I could keep both eyes open and possibly track them better. With my right eye parked behind the af button that obviously doesn't work.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Bill Coatney
05-10-2010, 07:14 PM
FWIW

For right handed skeet and trap shooters that are left eye dominant they have to make a decision to either re learn by shooting left handed or they often obscure the left eye with a small blurred spot on their shooting glasses which induces the right eye to "take over".
Many also will squint or close the dominant eye just before the trigger pull which makes the non dominant eye take over.

This might be an option for you if you keep using the right eye on the viewfinder.

My wife is left eye dominant and uses her left eye for the viewfinder--this blocks the right eye--problematic for some functions with the camera (large wheel etc) but she tracks birds in flight pretty well- doesn't bring the camera up until she is ready to shoot--then again-- she usually isn't trying twisting high speed small birds :)

James Shadle
05-10-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm right eye dominate and I use my left eye for photography.
I have neck issues and using my left eye is more comfortable. My only issue with Nikon is that I need to lock the AF point toggle on the back of the camera(my nose hits it).

If I can go from using my right eye to left, you should be able to go left to right.
It just takes a little getting used to it. Once you switch, stay switched until you have it mastered.

When needed I can use either eye with the same results. One is just more comfortable than the other.

Ed Cordes
05-10-2010, 09:28 PM
As an eye doctor I get similar questions to this all the time. Although they are mostly related to shooting firearms. The suggestions Bill made above are good ones. however they do not address the desire to keep both eyes open.

With practice and training the vast majority of people can learn to use their right eye for shooting as Capt. James has suggested. It may take some time - about a month or so - but the rewards are good. You will be able to keep both eyes open and your nose will not be in the way of the controls the right eye bias of the camera designers placed in the wrong location for left eyed people.

It would be nice to have both left and right eyed camera bodies, but I don't think that is realistically going to happen in our lifetime.;)

Tony Whitehead
05-12-2010, 03:24 AM
I am similar to James in that I am right eye dominant but use my left eye for photography. I can use my right eye but just can't compose images well with it - something to do with my eye/brain wiring. The left eye seems to see a whole scene but the right only parts of it at a time. The nose on the focus toggle switch problem is all too familiar to me - fortunately not problem with the D700.