PDA

View Full Version : A little Ringneck Snake

Susan Griffith
02-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Well this is my first photo post. This is a little Ringneck (Diadophis punctatus)snake from eastern washington. This was my first attempt at using photoshop so any coments are welcome.

The photo was taken with a Canon 5D, 180mm macro, 1.4x, F5, with a twin light macro flash. I think I should have been shooting for a greater depth of fied, but was trying to focus on the head of this cute little snake,

-Susan

Robert O'Toole
02-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi susan, well this is a cool little subject and the sharpness is good, and I like the moss habitat. The subject, the snake is a little lost in the image.
I assume that this image was taken in the field and the snake was moving? If so you did a good job if you didnt have much time. If the snake was still or this was a set up shot I would say you should have gotten much closer and filled the frame with the head and face.
The image bakground is a little dark for me. You can set up the flash with lower power so that the background balances with the foreground lit by the flash so you avoid the dark/black background. Also diffusing the flash heads will help make the light softer and more pleasing.

Keep them coming.

Robert

Ed Cordes
03-01-2008, 10:34 PM
And a cute little guy he is! I like the environmental feel to the image. If it were mine I would consider cloning out the vertical stem? right under his chin.

Susan Griffith
03-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the reply Robert, This is a wilds snake that was constantly on the run, so it was hard to keep up with him at times.

Ed, I would love to clone out the vertical stem :D I just don't know how to yet. Thats my next task to learn in CS3. Thanks for looking :D

Mike Moats
03-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Hey Susan, a real nice comp and I like the DOF. You did a good keeping the focus on the head and the only problem is the snakes head is dark like the BG and doesn't stand out as much enough to really pop.