PDA

View Full Version : B&W suggestions wanted

allanrube
05-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Yesterday I posted a bird image that I had converted to b&w. I only did this because I belong to a print group and our assignment is b&w. People in the bird section thought the original color shot was better than b&w (I agree) nd that perhaps I had not selected a good subject for conversion.
So, I am posting a landscape shot. I am interested in suggestions:
1) Is the shot any good in b&w
2) Any thoughts of how I could improve what you see here - improving it as a b&w image. I shoot color all the time and the color version looks better to me.

http://allanrube.smugmug.com/photos/862597154_5nWHt-X3.jpg

Dave Mills
05-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Hi Allan,
Yes, I feel there can be some improvement especially in the sky. I used a S/H and contrast adj to make the sky more dimensional. I wasn't looking to do anything radical.
I wasn't that happy where the moon was placed in the original so just to show you where I preferred it I moved it over and cropped a little off the right.
I could see how a color version of this image could be better due to the mass of birds on the bottom not standing out at all but blending in with the terrain. Color would certainly bring them out.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
05-10-2010, 04:26 PM
I used nik sliver efex under exposed to give it contrast. Also darkened the sky.

allanrube
05-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Dennis and Dave - thanks for the suggestions. I like the moon placement/crop along with more dramatic clouds.

Nick Palmieri
05-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Like the re-posts better than the OP as the sky becomes much more dramatic. I agree with Dave that this image in color would accent the birds in the FG. I think the sky and mountains would be a good B&W choice but think if you want the birds to be seen the color version may be better.

allanrube
05-11-2010, 09:50 PM
I am not arguing there. I do like the color better but need to have a b&w print.

Roman Kurywczak
05-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Hi Allan,
Still on Arches tour...but now have fast internet connection and some time! I like the repost but will add.....perhaps some selective dodging and burning.....or levels layers (crane flock and MG mountains).....to add more depth. Most succesful B&W prints go from total black to bright white tonally.....just some options to further explore.

allanrube
05-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks Roman. Enjoy the rest of your trip.