PDA

View Full Version : New Wildlife shooter

phil adair
05-09-2010, 01:37 PM
I'm just getting started out with Wildlife after having shot sports and racing for a number of years. Out with the 1dm2 in with the 5dm2, I captured this with a Sigma 120-300 exif data below.

I had it mounted on my monopod and was walking out to the end of my dock, He/She was flying overhead so I wasn't able to use the monopod. I'm just starting to get serious about capturing shots of wildlife. I have a Gitzo 1325 cf tripod with a Arca Swiss B1 on it that I will be using more.

I'm wondering if I should have used a higher ISO and a faster shutter speed stopped down a little.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.pbase.com/shadco/image/124363914/original.jpg

Camera Model Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Firmware Firmware Version 2.0.4
Shooting Date/Time 05/08/10 16:37:51
Copyright Notice Copyright: Shadco Photo 2010
Owner's Name Phil Adair
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/640
Av( Aperture Value ) 5.6
Metering Mode Partial Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 100
Auto ISO Speed OFF
Lens 120-300mm
Focal Length 300.0mm
Image Size 5616x3744
Image Quality RAW
Flash Off
FE lock OFF
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode AI Servo AF
Picture Style Neutral
Sharpness 0
Contrast 0
Saturation 0
Color tone 0
Color Space sRGB
Long exposure noise reduction 0:Off
High ISO speed noise reduction 0:Standard
Highlight tone priority 0:Disable
Auto Lighting Optimizer 0:Standard
Peripheral illumination correction Disable
File Size 21940KB
Dust Delete Data No
Drive Mode Continuous shooting
Live View Shooting OFF
AF Microadjustment 0

Dave Leroy
05-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Hi Phil,

I certainly think you are on the right track. Lots of shutter speed for birds in flight (bifs) and dof is the next step.
I like the nice diagonal composition.
Well done.

Alfred Forns
05-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Hi Phil Big Warm Welcome !! With your bg will be up to speed for birds in no time !!!

Tech wise would use 400 for my base ISO since you have a good performing camera, would not hesitate to bump it to 1600 if needed !!! Shutter speed wise try to go 1/1600 or over !!

Exposure wise you are shooting the underside of the bird (shaded) so going one over is the norm ... but if its sunny like here you will blow the head ... solution ..softer light !!! As presented you need to clean up the wings by lightening and will introduce noise (even with the 5D) Processing wise would lighten and desaturate the sky some to make it look natural !!

Image is sharp and got a good wing position !! Looking forward to the next one !!!

Lance Peters
05-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Hi Phil - big warm welcome to BPN - Dont hesitate to jump right in and leave comments on other peoples images - all we ask is that you say what you like or dont like about the image - no better/faster way to learn.

Nice first post - agree with AL'S advice.
Turn on your over exposure blinkies and make use of your histogram.
Looking forward to seeing more :)

Dave Mills
05-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Hi Phil, I too offer a warm welcome!
Excellent advice above and I will add that it's compositionally beneficial to add more space in front of an animal than in the back to give the appearance of room for the subject to move into. IMO the image would work better as a horizontal than a vertical...

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
05-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Welcome to BPN,

Bird in flight is not easy and you did well, the bird looks sharp with nice wing spread. Also like the determination looks on the bird. As Alfread mentioned, good light is the key for this image.