PDA

View Full Version : Not a BIRD But is still flying

VinceRossi
05-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Went to my first Horse Show and Conpetiton yesterday. It was agood place to get some different shots you don't get to see everyday.

Some cropping and cloning was done, but not much of anything else.

Vince

05-08-2010
1/400
Aperture Priority
F11
ISO 800
70mm Focal Length
Spot Metering

Alfred Forns
05-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Hi Vince I like the action and timing !! Was this shot in jpeg? Greens are very much saturated and would back down, maybe the camera is doing some color enhancing. Tech wise don't understand the spot metering 1

Btw for these might even include more of the surroundings Would love to shoot horses, sure make compelling subjects jumping and static !! Hoping to see more !! ... also try some blurs !!!

Dave Mills
05-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Hi Vince, I feel you captured the perfect moment of the jump. Agree with Al on the greens and a small amount more room. Since you did some cloning you might consider taking out the cars in the lower right. Good action!

Ricardo Rodriguez
05-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Agree with Dave about the cars. The white part of the front legs looks blueish in my laptop. Not sure why that is.

VinceRossi
05-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks for all the comments and instructions. I will work on them and repost. I shot it in landscape raw but decided to post it in portrait. Don't know why it looks like Jpeg except for requirement for posting. I am not that tech savvy as you all know by now. I was going to take the cars out but forgot.

VinceRossi
05-09-2010, 03:42 PM
As per some suggestions I have made some changes. Cut back on the saturation which I never increased. The only thing I can think of is my camera was set to vivid. I left the brances in this time as I changed to landscape. There were many more right up to the riders face but I took them out.

Al i didn't quite understand what you meant about having some Blur.

Thanks all,

David Thomasson
05-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Nice capture, Vince. I would have preferred the shot about a nanosecond earlier, so the horse's front feet were higher
than the rear ... but that's more a matter of luck than skill. I agree with others about the saturation and the cars.
But the way I figure it, once the cloning starts, it's deuces wild and anything goes. Totally shameless fakery in service
to a pleasing composition.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8950/fakery2.jpg

VinceRossi
05-09-2010, 10:38 PM
I have many more pics from the show But am limited to posting. A=Some are better then what I have actually posted here. I wish I could out the sky in as easy as you did.

David Thomasson
05-09-2010, 10:46 PM
I wish I could out the sky in as easy as you did.

You can. Whenever you can make a sky white, or nearly white, this technique will turn it blue. It won't affect darker
objects like tree limbs. You just have to make sure to mask the effect out where there other whites or near-whites
in the image, because it will turn them blue as well.

Skies tend to fade out toward the horizon. To get that effect, after you use the selective color adj layer to turn the
sky a uniform blue, apply a black gradient on that mask to fade the blue near the horizon.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1006&message=32905384