PDA

View Full Version : Three Little Rascals

Vilma Rodriguez
05-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Here is the other decent photo I made of the Green Heron chicks in Wako. I took Alfred's advice about using a black vignette.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!!!

(Same tech information as my first post of the chicks)

Vilma.

VinceRossi
05-09-2010, 09:41 AM
I really hate to post this. BUT as a member of the NJ Audubon Society, I once sent in a picture that was quite close and I got reprimanded for shooting it so close unti I explained that I had use telephoto lens and was a quite a distance away. I hope this shot was a sufficiant distance. As it was explained to me if we get to close the parnets will leave the chicks to fend for themselves.

NOT POSTING TO START A CONTOVERSY BUT JUST OFFERING INFORMATION.

PeterCollins
05-09-2010, 10:26 AM
I expect this was taken with her 300mm with a 1.4x convertor, assuming that its not full frame and there is a crop involed should would have been a good few meters away ;)

Good Post Vilma, personally not a fan of vignetting pictures overall but i can see why you have done it

Dave Mills
05-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Just to let folks know who haven't been to Wako (short for wakodahatchie SP?) you cannot get too close to a nesting bird due to their being a boardwalk which restricts your movement. I love the head positions along with the sharpness.
For some reason the ball shaped image doesn't work for me. I liked it better on a previous post when you used a more transparent vignette.

Alfred Forns
05-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Hi Vilma This does isolate the birds more and focuses on the center, agree with Dave on backing down the effect a bit !! Love the feel and having all good head angles/sharp !!

Hi Vince Great point on not bothering nesting birds, in this case as Dave pointed out she was well out of reach of the nest and not bothering them in any way !!! btw at the Alligator farm you can shoot them with a fisheye lens and not bother the birds !! .. they nest about two feet from the railing and pay no attention to humans !!!

Vilma Rodriguez
05-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Hi, Vince, I would never, ever, ever knowingly do anything to harm any bird!!!!!!!

As Dave says, there is a boardwalk at Wakodahatchee, and took the picture with my 300 f/4 + 1.4 TC (420mm) and the crop is more than 50%. I hope this satisfies your concern.

Thank you,

Vilma

VinceRossi
05-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Vilma, sorry if I offeneded you. I was just making a general statement. As Dave said I am not familiar with the location and was just stating what happened to me as info for any and all that might not be aware of the circumstances.

It is truly a great shot I would love to get and you have done a great job on it.

Vilma Rodriguez
05-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Vince, thanks for clarifying. No problem.

Vilma

Lance Peters
05-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Hi Vilma - another nice one - would back the vigentting right down just my personal tastes - just darkening the corners is usually enough to draw the viewers attention into the centre of the frame.
As with your previous post - think you can coax some more detail out with some fine sharpening.
Like it :)