PDA

View Full Version : What you see is what you get

Hilary Hann
05-09-2010, 04:32 AM
Early evening in the beautiful Mara North Conservancy looking towards the reserve. I took a series of images as the sun set, trying to capture the towering storm clouds and the extreme colours showing through. The twilight hour is short on the equator, but usually quite spectacular especially when the storms are around.
40D; EF24-85 @ 24; f4.5; 1/60; ISO100 Hand held Manual exposure

Dave Mills
05-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Hi Hilary, I like your concept for the image and I feel it works. You minimized the silouette well and the band of color is well handled. The clouds add alot of drama and in this case I don't mind them taking up 80% of the image.
I would make a suggestion that for a tree silouette try and pick a single or a group that stands alone(if possible) or isn't cut by the frame edge.

Lance Warley
05-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Great sky with the band of bright sun color as a counterpoint.

I agree with Dave about trying to get the tree all the way in the frame.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
05-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Good Job

Roman Kurywczak
05-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Hi Hilary,
I agree with the above comments but will also add another one....perhaps pointing the camera a bit more to the left....eliminating the tree and getting the sun more into the frame......this would have put the sun in better position and still kept most of the sky drama!

Hilary Hann
05-10-2010, 06:41 AM
Raw files are awesome. This shot was taken 1 min later but originally it looked like there was too little information in the sky to persevere. This is what I managed tonight after closing down my files for a while and coming back to them with fresh eyes. Thanks for making me look harder at what I had. Any comments on this repost would be gratefully received. Same specs as the OP, have just swung the camera around.

Dave Mills
05-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Hi Hilary,the clouds in the OP are stronger and carry the large area better...The sun's position is better in the repost but my preference is not centered...