PDA

View Full Version : We need more BUGS !!!

Don Lacy
05-08-2010, 02:36 PM
To many girlie flowers being posted:D Just kidding the flower images being posted on this forum are amazing and I just might break down and dust off my 100 f/2.8 Macro and try my hand at the pretty stuff again. But until then I am going to represent the bug people with this Prince Baskettail I shot this morning. This is either a female or juvenile male and is another new species for me. Not to sold on the composition and do have some canvas to play with if anyone has suggestions.

40D, 300 f/4 IS, 1/1600 at f/ 5.6, Aperture Priority, Evaluative Metered + 1/3, ISO 400, Hand Held (and yes it is as hard as you think it is to get these guys in flight:)), Cropped

Julie Kenward
05-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Wow, Don! You ARE the king of flybys! That is so amazing to me how you capture these guys in flight. I played with the comp a bit, angling him down as if he were coming in for a landing. I think either going up or down would give the frame a bigger sense of action. I also lightened the upper left side of the BG in Viveza just a touch to even it out a little more. Lovely image...YOU DA MAN! No girlie flower images for Don! ;)

Charissa
05-09-2010, 03:51 AM
Yeah on the bugs.....!!!!! I like the flower shots, as some of them is art, but the bugs rule....
Nice in flight shot Julie. No expert, but i would crop a bit of the bottom and top, and more space to the right, if it were mine. Nice detail and sharpness, very well captured.

Ken Childs
05-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Don, you are the king of these in-flight shots! Love the bug and love the BG. Was this guy hovering or was it passing by?

Don Lacy
05-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Don, you are the king of these in-flight shots! Love the bug and love the BG. Was this guy hovering or was it passing by?
Thank you Ken, He or she was flying a pattern in a set area so I was able to pre focus and wait for the pattern to repeat but it still takes a lot of patience in 20 minutes I was only able to get a focus lock once.

Ken Childs
05-09-2010, 04:27 PM
...it still takes a lot of patience in 20 minutes I was only able to get a focus lock once.Been there, done that! :D
I've had a bunch of Baskettails here lately that never seem to land but they will occasionally hover. It seems like that would be better but I get better results when one gets into a set patrolling pattern.

Don Hamilton Jr.
05-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Don, this Rocks, you threw it down here brother!!! It was nice to shoot with youon saturday; and i think all that standing around you did, and pacing, while sid and i were shooting the mocking birds, paid off congrats!!!
Don H.

Thomas Herou
05-16-2010, 11:01 AM
I hear you!:)
Sweet capture with a superb bg.