PDA

View Full Version : BIG Sunflower

Arthur Morris
05-08-2010, 05:33 AM
On my recent Texas trip we drove by several fields of very large sunflowers on the way to the Santa Clara Ranch in Starr County. We were late and could not stop but I made time the next morning. I made lots of different images; this was my favorite by far.

Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens with a 25mm tube on the lens and the 1.4X II TC behind it (for closer focusing but you need to focus manually). ISO 400 in early morning light. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop: 1/160 sec. at f/11.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Hazel Grant
05-08-2010, 07:30 AM
Grabbed my attention right away. Like the offset of the center and the clarity of the swirl design.

Julie Kenward
05-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Fantastic sunflower image, Artie. The swirl patterns with the leaves on the side make for a beautiful composition. Everything is beautifully in focus and it leads your eye to every corner and back again.

Please explain further how you stacked your lenses for this one. Next to the camera was the TC and then the extension tube and then the 800mm lens? Am I getting that right or am I still reading it backwards?

Arthur Morris
05-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Thanks Julie. As I said :), the 25mm tube goes on the lens and the 1.4X II TC behind it (attached to the camera if you would...) The usual way of doing it is to place the TC on the lens with the extension tube behind it. That gives you AF but you cannot focus as closely.

Adrian David
05-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Interesting choice of composition! Beautiful and crisp details (I can almost smell the sunflower).
Please tell me why did you chose that combination of lens+extension tube+TC, and nor a regular macro lens?
What is the advantage of this combination? (or was that only because you didn't had a macro lens in your bag?)
Thank you very much!

denise ippolito
05-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Artie, The colors of this sunflower remind me of a Van Gogh. I like the simple composition and the way you have conveyed the hugeness of this flower in a small window. Nicely done.

Arthur Morris
05-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Thank you Denise.

Interesting choice of composition! Beautiful and crisp details (I can almost smell the sunflower). Please tell me why did you chose that combination of lens+extension tube+TC, and nor a regular macro lens? What is the advantage of this combination? (or was that only because you didn't had a macro lens in your bag?) Thank you very much!

And thank you Adrian. Good question. The truth is that I did not have a macro lens. However, if I did have the 180 with me I would have chosen it for several reasons: the much narrower angle of view (actually am not sure if that means anything here...) and the greater working distance; to get the smaller lens in position to create this image I would have had to tromp on some of the farmer's sunflower plants....

Adrian David
05-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Thank you very much,Arthur!

Arthur Morris
05-08-2010, 02:40 PM
You are most welcome sir. And thanks big time for your membership support.

Don Lacy
05-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Hi Arthur, Love the composition and color there are so many interesting details in the image that it hold your attention longer then you would expect.

Christopher Miller
05-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Love your choice of composition, Artie. :) Excellent details. I like the colors, but they look a bit oversaturated to me.

Arthur Morris
05-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks Chris. There are no toasted yellows. The rich colors resulted from the early morning light, about 27 minutes after the sun cracked the horizon.

Ken Childs
05-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Hey Artie, I love the colors and details. I think I'd prefer a bit more canvas on the bottom so the center of the flower is closer to a ROT spot.

Arthur Morris
05-10-2010, 07:45 AM
Hey Artie, I love the colors and details. I think I'd prefer a bit more canvas on the bottom so the center of the flower is closer to a ROT spot.

Thanks Ken. I actually far prefer the 1/3-2/3 Centered from Top to Bottom composition for this one. I use that a lot for mammals (on the rare occasion that I do mammals).

Arthur Morris
05-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Ken, I actually see this image and the two below as examples of similar compositions. (Note; the seal is more 3/4-1/4 than 1/-2/3, but all are pretty much centered from top to bottom and all work for me :)

Arthur Morris
05-10-2010, 08:00 AM
Above, Brown Bear, Katmai, AK This frame, Easter Lily (growing wild), South Carolina.

Arthur Morris
05-10-2010, 08:02 AM
And finally, a Harbor Seal from LaJolla, CA.

Ken Childs
05-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Hey Artie, thanks for the explanation. It's always nice to know what the photographer's thoughts are.

When I look at animals shots, I think they look better if their eyes are near a ROT spot and that's what I see in the bear and seal shots so, IMHO, those shots are good examples of the ROT.

Arthur Morris
05-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Love your choice of composition, Artie. :) Excellent details. I like the colors, but they look a bit oversaturated to me.

Hey Chris, I reconsidered your advice--thanks a ton--and created a lighter, less saturated version that I like better :)

Arthur Morris
05-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Hey Artie, thanks for the explanation. It's always nice to know what the photographer's thoughts are.

When I look at animals shots, I think they look better if their eyes are near a ROT spot and that's what I see in the bear and seal shots so, IMHO, those shots are good examples of the ROT.

I see your point; just two different ways of getting to the same place. I still like both the lily and the sunflower COMPs as is. :) Different strokes. And with regards to the original sunflower comp, adding to the bottom would have destroyed what I was trying to do by introducing petals below the flower center.