PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone

Alfred Forns
05-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Image made during the Sept trip to Yellowstone, used a SingRay Vari ND filter allows for slow shutter speeds, just rotate to need !! For these is lots of experimenting, you have an idea of what is going to work but best to give yourself lots of choices !!

Comments welcome and much appreciate

Canon IDMk3
100-400 IS
f 18 1/5 sec
Av + 2/3
ISO 100

Julie Brown
05-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Great motion blur here, Al. I like the water color and the diagonal lines of the composition.

Troy Lim
05-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Al,

How did you like that? Does yours have the polarizer built in?
I feel the image is a bit bright, perhaps darken it a bit or increase the contrast?

Alfred Forns
05-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Hi Troy I do have a polarizer along with the ND but did not use it, the polarizer will take away the glare on top of the water and will kill detail.

If you can improve the image go ahead and re post, I like the way it turned out.

Troy Lim
05-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Al, here is my version. Let me know what you think.

http://troylimphotography.smugmug.com/photos/860221549_7n4n3-L.jpg

Alfred Forns
05-07-2010, 10:55 PM
I think is too dark but its just a mater of taste, I guess we are looking for a particular mood !!! Good re post !!!

Troy Lim
05-07-2010, 11:00 PM
I think is too dark but its just a mater of taste, I guess we are looking for a particular mood !!! Good re post !!!

I agree.

Dave Mills
05-07-2010, 11:26 PM
I tend to lean towards Al's version with the more subtle hues of light greens and white. The flow is what I prefer...detail but a softness to the water. The diagonal flow also works here...

Alfred Forns
05-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Hi Troy

For tweaking this image is you want darker, would select one rock and work on it just t see how it goes, then go to another, all about local changes !!! For darkening I make a burning brush and set opacity to 10% or so then go over the image .. same for lightening !! Could just use the dodge and burn tools Tiny changes make a difference !!

For most comments on this type images I tend to think Dave has the most to offer, sure does some awesome landscapes !!!

Jeff Cashdollar
05-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Both are nice and well presented, I go with the original - just sets best with me.

All about feel as Al always say's.

Troy Lim
05-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Hi Troy

For tweaking this image is you want darker, would select one rock and work on it just t see how it goes, then go to another, all about local changes !!! For darkening I make a burning brush and set opacity to 10% or so then go over the image .. same for lightening !! Could just use the dodge and burn tools Tiny changes make a difference !!

For most comments on this type images I tend to think Dave has the most to offer, sure does some awesome landscapes !!!

I used the burn tool on the water a little bit as well.
I darkened the rocks a bit more because I feel darker makes it have more of the wet look.
It is just a personal preference. I am learning as landscape is also what I like other than shooting wildlife.