PDA

View Full Version : Monarch on yellow

Jim Poor
02-29-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm curious as to your thoughts on this one. I had to do a lot of work on the BG because I forgot to lower my ISO from another session. I ran really strong noise reduction on the BG and repeated it 3 times.

Cloned out some distracting branches and darkened a dead leaf.
Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D2X
Image Date: 2006:08:05 14:17:06
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 55.0mm (35mm equivalent: 82mm)
Exposure Time: 0.0003 s (1/3200)
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO equiv: 800
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

Robert O'Toole
02-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Hey Jim

The lighting is nice and soft and the noise isnt an issue at all so I like the image. 2 small things would help I think. I see a little greenish cast, maybe. Also I sould make it a Rectangle vertical crop by removing the bud to the right. This would focus all on the Monarch right where is should be.

Anyway small points a side I like it, Would like it more with a very crop and a little less green.

What lens was this, an old AI-S 55mm?

Tony Kirkby
03-01-2008, 03:54 AM
Hi Jim

I like this it, has a nice relaxed feel to it.

John Cooper
03-01-2008, 06:36 AM
The BG doesn't concern me Jim but I would like a little exposure to the yellow flower and butterfly. The bud and new green leaves add to the composition!

PS I just read Robert's critique but personally I still feel the bud is a plus!!

Ed Cordes
03-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Good job on the noise reduction. I like the overall exposure and the yellow is great considering many, including me, have a hard time getting yellows right. My eye seems to want to twist the image clockwise into the monitor to expose a more direct view of the BF's wings. The left wing tips seem a tad OOF, so moving to the right prior to exposure may have helped. I know, easy to critique after the image is made - hard to do in real life!

Jim Poor
03-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Thanks everyone. I go back and forth on the "extra" bud and have both versions made. I just settled on this one at the moment :D

Mike Moats
03-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Hey Jim, overall I like the image, I might be tempted to crop the top down to the edge of the top petal. A little more DOF would be nice on the wings. Bracket your f/stops as you would your exposures so you have options to work with.