PDA

View Full Version : Quick Mask ?

Bill Foxworthy
02-29-2008, 02:51 PM
When I make a QM and say lighten an image all works fine. If I wanted to also sharpen an image at the same time why cant I use the same mask as before. I am not able to do that the way I am using it? Thanks bf

Charles Glatzer
03-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Make sure you have the layer thumbnail selected, and not the layer mask thumbnail.
Additionally, it is good practice to save the selection as an Alpha Channel for use (mask) at another time (right click within the selection and pick Save Selection)
Moreover, you can duplicate the background layer (Ctrl J), and duplicate the already made layer mask to the new layer...Note- hold the Alt key while dragging the mask from one layer to duplicate the mask in a new layer.

Chas

Robert O'Toole
03-25-2008, 09:28 AM
When I make a QM and say lighten an image all works fine. If I wanted to also sharpen an image at the same time why cant I use the same mask as before. I am not able to do that the way I am using it? Thanks bf

As long as the selection edges, aka marching ants, you continue to work on the selection. If the selection edges are gone, go back in history to find the state again. The best procedure is to Layer via copy Ctl+J to create a new layer from your selection. Then you easily sharpen, lighten, and what ever else is needed.

You can find more Quick mask info and tutorials on a CD that I have created that is sold through Birds As Art:http://www.birdsasart.com/aptats.htm

Robert

Charles Glatzer
03-25-2008, 09:40 AM
If the selection edges are gone, go back in history to find the state again. Robert

Alternately, you can hit Ctrl Shift D to regain the selection.

Chas

Robert O'Toole
03-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Alternately, you can hit Ctrl Shift D to regain the selection.

Chas

I didnt think anyone else knew that shortcut....:) Not many people even know Ctrl+D.

I dont give that one out much since it will not work once the QM selection is copied to a new layer. Which is how I recommend using QM selections. Once Ctrl+j is used you cannot reselect unless you save or copy beforehand.

Keep the tips coming Chas.

Robert

Charles Glatzer
03-25-2008, 12:01 PM
I didnt think anyone else knew that shortcut....:) Not many people even know Ctrl+D.

I dont give that one out much since it will not work once the QM selection is copied to a new layer. Which is how I recommend using QM selections. Once Ctrl+j is used you cannot reselect unless you save or copy beforehand.

Keep the tips coming Chas.

Robert

Once the selection is copied to a new layer, Ctrl clicking the the thumbnail will put it back into selection

Chas

Bill Foxworthy
04-14-2008, 04:39 AM
Thanks very much for the tips.

Lance Peters
04-14-2008, 06:16 AM
Hi - I have just ordered Roberts CD - cant wait to get it so I can get stuck into studying all these techniques.

Lance