05-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Canon 40D
Tamron 17-150mm at 50mm
1/250"
f3.2
ISO 400
EC +.33
after 5:00 this afternoon in heavy shade

OK. went to the woods today and tried your suggestions. at least I got rid of the brown background! :)

This is close to what I was trying for, a sharp wavy edge, and the rest soft. While this trillium is past its hey-day, it was one of the best condition blossoms I found in the woods. I already desaturated the greens some. Should I do it more?

any comments and critiques are appreciated!

Anita Bower
05-07-2010, 07:03 AM
Godo job, Cheryl. You did a nice job with the narrow dof and selective focus. The white stands out nicesly against the green surrounding it. How did you get a Trillium to face up? Am of mixed mind about BG greens--you might see what it looks like with them toned down a bit more.

Cheryl Flory
05-07-2010, 07:36 AM
Thanks, Anita. This trillium was in a clump where the blossoms were either up or partially sideways I just picked this one which was upright. I think I could have done a better job if I had remembered to line up the camera with the line of the petal edge. But I was getting distracted by the many mosquitoes.

Hazel Grant
05-07-2010, 08:05 AM
pesky mosquitos! I like the attempt to have the petal and leaf stand out (almost 3D effect) Perhaps, for my tastes, darkening the BG just a bit would have made them stand out more. Good job.

Julie Kenward
05-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Look how far you came in one additional attempt, Cheryl! The BG is much less cluttered and the angle is way better. I would probably suggest looking at toning down the greens a bit more but this is heavy shade and that is where you tend to find the most vibrant greens so do what you think is best. Very nice composition with the trillium leaning to the right. Good work! ;)

Cheryl Flory
05-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Thanks, Jules. After 4 hours in the woods, I do have a "few" more trillium pics. lol
you may be really tired of trilliums. :D
As Roman suggested in my previous trillium image, I tried my flash, reflector, (didn't need the diffuser) and even my LED flashlight. lol.

Bob Miller
05-07-2010, 11:36 PM
HI Cheryl....I like it as presented! Nice work!