PDA

View Full Version : Testosterone Tussle

Morkel Erasmus
05-06-2010, 05:13 PM
I have just received a brand new Canon 7D today with a battery grip and the Canon 10-22mm USM lens (for landscapes), and am looking forward to testing it out properly over the next 6 days as we leave for 3 days of fly-fishing on the South African Highveld and then 3 days of bush bliss in the Madikwe Game Reserve...

Thanks for all the wonderful spirit here in the Wildlife Forum...

These two springbok were having at each other in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. I was happy to fit this shot in the frame as I tried to zoom as close as possible. Cropped some from the top and bottom but this is full frame in width.

Techs:
Canon 40D with 100-400mm L IS USM
f7.1 @ 1/1000 @ ISO-400

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Such interesting action Morkel and your timing was perfect. Really like the dust flying giving us a real sense of action. I hope all turned out well for both. :)

Harshad Barve
05-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Excellent image Morkelbhai and big congratulations for new gear
TFS

Alfred Forns
05-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Hi Morkel Would frame a little wider, seems tight on the sides !!! With your new camera there are plenty of MPs so you can afford more room !!!

I like the dirt being kicked up and poses !! Would selectively lighten the animals a bit, particularly the light parts !! Good luck with the fish !!!... btw are you going after those with great big teeth?

Morkel Erasmus
05-06-2010, 10:37 PM
thanks guys - no I'm going after rainbow and golden trout... but will probably spend more time on playing with my new toys :)

Stu Bowie
05-07-2010, 12:33 AM
Hey Mork, good interaction captured, and the dust adds to the action. I agree, a little tight on both ends. Congrats with your new toys - have fun mate.

Tom Graham
05-07-2010, 03:53 AM
Nice and agree too tight. One of the things I had to un-learn after shooting 35mm slides for years was no need to frame shot exactly. With DSLR leave it a little loose and crop later. Hard to break that habit for me though!!!!
You been to Madikwe Reserve before? I was there for five nights at Madikwe Hills Lodge in 2007. I'll reserve my comments until you get back :)
Tom

Steve Kaluski
05-07-2010, 05:53 AM
Nice & clean Morkel, just would have liked a bit more room either side.

BTW Have you read Arties 7D set-up? IMHO just watch cropping hard with your new toy. Good luck. ;)

Steve

Bob Miller
05-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Hi Mork! Love the dust flying...agree a bit tight in the framing. Enjoy!

Sabyasachi Patra
05-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Morkel,
Congratulations on your new gear. I was under the impression that you have moved over to the dark side. ;)

The image seems a bit tight at the left and right sides. Nice action captured.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

nothsafoto
05-12-2010, 04:32 AM
Nice one Morkel. I agree with Alfred that a little wider would be good and lifting the underbelly tones. Man, I wish I could get away with bringing my Fly gear out to SA when I visit. Fishing is my 3rd biggest passion behind photography and golf (a whole plane required to realise my dream SA trip).

Morkel Erasmus
05-12-2010, 11:40 AM
thanks everyone!

I am still planning a move to the dark side in the long run but won't settle for anything less than a D3s, 200-400 and 14-24 combo, for which I don't have the funds at the moment, and needed a better camera for my current setup now for more than 8 months.

I have shot many landscapes and wildlife on this trip (just returned tonight) and will process the images and then see what my judgement is on the camera. As far as operations, quality feel and AF are concerned I was impressed. It seems most forums have concensus that you should rather use DPP at this stage as they handle the raw files better.

Steve - I have set up my 7D according to Doug's specs but will look out for Artie's setup (link?)...

Tom - I thoroughly enjoyed Madikwe as it was my first visit to this area of our beautiful country, had some good sightings too and it was great being a "visiting guest" of a friend and fellow-photographer, which meant we could do our own thing (from starscapes to early sunrise shoots etc)

Nothsafoto - thanks for the comments, the fishing was nice although I didn't catch a thing (was great unwinding and casting while clearing thoughts). One of my friends caught a 2kg brown trout too...

Steve Kaluski
05-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Steve - I have set up my 7D according to Doug's specs but will look out for Artie's setup (link?)...

It was out a few weeks ago, if a friend of mine still has it will fwd it to you as a PDF, if it's the right one.

Steve

Morkel Erasmus
07-15-2010, 02:34 AM
thanks Steve - I have not received it, could you possibly send it on?