PDA

View Full Version : Morphing

Cory Bucher
05-06-2010, 01:08 PM
This is a Nymph bug that is in the last stage of morphing into a new body. They only stay orange like this for about 3-5 minutes, after that they turn into a more grey color.

Nikon D200
60mm Macro
F11 1/30 ISO 400
Tripod
Manual Mode.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/4584768250_cee8d94cbd_o.jpg

Michel Pilon
05-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Hello Cory,

That's the first time I see that!!! What a great timing!!! It seems to me that it is an Assassin bug (Reduviidae), isn't it? Do you know the species?

From which region have you taken it?

You got a great pov and an excellent control of the exposition. F/11 was a great choice in order to get the nymph and the imago in focus. The bg is so splendid also enhancing the insect and the exuvia. Very nice and unique picture!!!

Thanks for sharing!!! :D

Michel

Mike Moats
05-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Hey Cory, cool critter and great find. Good details and like the positioning in the frame. Good BG.

Cory Bucher
05-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Hello Cory,

That's the first time I see that!!! What a great timing!!! It seems to me that it is an Assassin bug (Reduviidae), isn't it? Do you know the species?

From which region have you taken it?

You got a great pov and an excellent control of the exposition. F/11 was a great choice in order to get the nymph and the imago in focus. The bg is so splendid also enhancing the insect and the exuvia. Very nice and unique picture!!!

Thanks for sharing!!! :D

Michel

You might be right, I know it is related to the assassin bug though. Thanks for the comment.

Julie Kenward
05-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Cory, welcome to the macro/flora forum! You definitely were in the right place at the right time! A few suggestions for you...

You might try getting a more even or consistent BG either in the field or in post-production (pp). It looks like if you had shifted over another step to the right you would have ended up with the entire BG matching the left side instead of it being split in two different color zones. As it is, you might try to tone that brighter side down a bit so the emphasis stays on the insect better. I'd also suggest cloning out the dark and light area right above the skeletal remains - that also is pulling my eye away from the insect.

Very nice details on the bug - just remember to watch for the BG next time and make it as even and consistent as possible.

Ken Childs
05-07-2010, 07:13 AM
Jules makes some good points. I used to get so excited when I'd find something like this that I'd forget about the BG. When I find something cool like this, I'll usually take a shot that shows the best details of the bug, just so I have a record but then I'll move around and try to line up the best possible BG.

Jonathan Ashton
05-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Great shot absolutely intriguing to look at. I have to admit I still make the same mistakes with backgrounds - especially when I find something special:) I reckon I just get carried away with myself.