PDA

View Full Version : One more redbreasted mergie shot

Pete Riola
05-06-2010, 12:02 PM
This is a crop job but I'm wondering the mergie on the left....not quite what I wanted....I believe the focus dot is on the neck of the mergie on the right.... I tried to back off the whites but I'm not quite there. Your thoughts please.

http://crabbyduck.com/galleries/2-rbm-drakes-call-bpn.jpg

Lance Peters
05-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Hi Pete - do always post your tech details - will help everyone help you.
Problem here is your blacks are blocked (no detail) whites dont look too bad. Black and white birds are tough in anything but soft light, so that you can get detail in the blacks and still hold the whites.
Like the pose and the low shooting angle - and the colours are V Nice - would prefer a little more seperation between the birds.
Id crop about 1/3rd from the top.
Like it.

Harold Davis
05-06-2010, 03:49 PM
agree with lance. the crop is key i think. if you really wanted to save this image, copy the eye from the far bird and paste it on the near bird for two in focus eyes. i love the action here. nice job on the low angle!!!

Dave Mills
05-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Hi Pete, I love the open mouths which give the image interest. Lighting is key in shooting B&W birds. If it's off angle you can expose for the whites(which is what I do) and sometimes still block the blacks. The key is to have the light (preferably warm) light hit at an angle which effects both areas.(not always easy). When your shooting 2 subjects like this separation is best since the merge can effect greatly how the viewer deciphers the subject.
Example, there is something coming out at the top of the foreground bird's head. Not easy to discern what that is and takes away from the overall.
Finally I would crop some off the top...

Pete Riola
05-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Ok...thanks.

Shutter speed= 1/800
F stop = f 11 no exposure comp
iso= 400
focal length = 700....500 plus 1.4x tele converter
Metering = Center weighted average
Flash = none

Oscar Zangroniz
05-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Agree on the crop. Great action of your subjects and great colors.
Congrats

Fabs Forns
05-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Agree with Lance on the blocked blacks, it's what hurts the image the most. Very good action captured.

Alfred Forns
05-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Great comments and fully agree !!! Do go after them every chance you get, love that low angle and the blue tones your getting !!!

btw if you want to try for two birds do increase the dof (if possible) not much trouble with the bg !!! Looking forward to the next one !!!