PDA

View Full Version : Worthy of a portfolio?

Jim Poor
02-29-2008, 02:27 PM
I'm prepping 30 images for review. I'm very emotionally attached to this image for reasons that are way to long to go into here, so I'm here for a sanity check.

I like the cool cast to it and I think the image looses it's impact completely when the cast is neutralized. I've done a little clean up of the water and BG, but am contemplating more.
I also lightened the eye and lore area a bit. Did curves in RGB and then again in LAB, where I did the sharpening too.

Would you present this to someone like Artie and or Moose Peterson in a portfolio review?

Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D2H
Image Date: 2005:03:23 10:48:44
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 600.0mm (35mm equivalent: 900mm)
Exposure Time: 0.0004 s (1/2500)
Aperture: f/4.0
ISO equiv: 200
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

john crookes
02-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Hi Jim

I believe that Moose wants you to pick out what you belive are your 30 best Wildlife Photographs.

If you are asking others for approval it kind of defeats the exercise that Moose id trying to perform with the group.
If you feel strongly that the image should be included than by all means include the image.

If you have questions about the image I would hold off including untill all others have been accepted into your portfolio or you need to fill after final editing

John

P.S. was there a bit of cloning or adding to the canvass on the right side as there are some strange merging on my monitor

Jim Poor
02-29-2008, 04:00 PM
There were a couple sticks in the upper right quarter and some "stuff" on the right edge. I cleaned up the water here an there as noted in the OP. Here's how it was . .

http://www.pbase.com/jimpoor/image/65315967/original.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/jimpoor/image/65315967/original/jpg

I can see your point about the exercise.

Alfred Forns
02-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Hi Jim to be 100% honest on this one ..... would have a talk with Moses !!!!!!!

I'm not crazy about the pose Wing merging with the head Bird pose doesn't flow and there is lack of luminosity .... let me know what Moses said !!!! You will be surprised at what you will be getting in just a couple of weeks Might be in the sensory overload range !!!!

Paul Pagano
02-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Jim, hope you don't mind my playing, but this shot screamed b&w to me. Not sure how that is received in bird photography. Again, my tastes only. (I didn't resharpen after sizing either.)

Fabs Forns
02-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Well, If i have to be honest, not my favorite of yours.

Doug Brown
02-29-2008, 11:01 PM
I have to agree with Fabs. Not one of my favorite submissions of yours.

Jim Poor
03-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks everyone. That's why I asked. Sometimes looking objectively at an image is tough when you are attached to it in some way.

Jim Poor
03-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Jim, hope you don't mind my playing, but this shot screamed b&w to me. Not sure how that is received in bird photography. Again, my tastes only. (I didn't resharpen after sizing either.)

Don't mind at all. It is interesting in B&W. Thanks.

Maxis Gamez
03-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Hi Jim,

There are several negative factors in this image. I have to agree with Fab.