Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS @ 400mm
Av mode
1/500"
F11
ISO: 200
Canon 430EX: On, Fired
LR & CS3

There were a few curly bits of the grass that I cloned away.

Jonathan Ashton
05-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Nice shot I am amazed at the detail in the veination in the wings I see flash was used, the body and wings have done really well indeed but there seems to be a little too much on the head/eye. I don't know if you have set exposure compensation for the gun but I would suggest you try at -1.66 EV, I commonly use this setting - and I use a Stofen omnibounce flash diffuser - it provides very even and diffused lighting.:)

Ramesh Adkoli
05-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Nicely composed, Ken. I like the sharp details of the dragon fly. The large specular light reflections in the eyes, however are a bit distracting. TFS.

Ken Childs
05-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Thanks, Jonathan. I took a few shots of this guy without flash and other than the double catchlights and a bit more detail, the eyes with or without the flash look pretty close. When they're fresh, the eyes of the males reflect a lot of light. I probably should have toned it down anyway because i have to admit that it doesn't look natural, even though it is.

Don Lacy
05-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Hi Ken, Another fine DF images and tis guy is in pristine condition.

Mike Moats
05-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Hey Ken, nice pop in the D-fly. Good details and BG.

Julie Kenward
05-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Excellent details Ken! I know the double catchlights look bright but I kind of like 'em.

I did find the back of the perch a little distracting so I went in and erased the back underside. I think this looks a bit odd with it ending in mid-air but just wanted to put it out there to see if you might want to play with that back section a bit.

Bob Miller
05-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Hi ken...super image...i like whay Julie did with the back perch! The eyes do look a bit too bright and saturated for my tastes. BTW...What was the bg?

Ken Childs
05-08-2010, 06:18 AM
Hi Bob, the BG is a pond. The water is dirty because of all the recent rains.

I kind of like the perch as an arch but I can see that the colored area on the underside is distracting so I'll try a few things. With the solid color BG, I can do pretty much what I want with that back section. :)