PDA

View Full Version : Howler

susanschermer
05-05-2010, 02:06 PM
A troop of howlers visited the tree next to the dining room at Selva Verde every morning. You couldn't miss the howling at 4 AM from your screened-only room. They were wonderful to watch not pleasant to hear. It wasn't easy to hand hold at such a low SS. I wonder if it is sharp.
1D Mark III, 400mm f/4 DO lens, ISO 800, f/4, 1/200

Tom Graham
05-05-2010, 04:33 PM
"Reasonably" sharp for me, it works. Eyes, face, look sharp. Mouth crammed with leaves!!! Tough shot huh, very dark fur, in tree shade. That's why your exposure settings. Good job there.
May be a DOF issue at f4 for extended right arm and back body. But again face is good.
Funny, but thing that bothers me most is that sharp green leaf at very top center!!! Maybe a crop from top to make it more into a head shot?
Tom

Robert Amoruso
05-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Susan,

I like the unique position and crop. I feel the image overall is too bright and the monkey lacks sharpness. In the report I did the following.

Make Selection using Selecting Highlights and Shadows: Method 2: Channels Palette explained in my tutorial at www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?p=161168.

When I make this selection I use the RGB channel and double click on the icon.

Go back to layers palette.

Create BG copy.

Add layer mask to BGT Copy. THis creates a gray scale mask.

Change the BG Copy Blending Mode to Multiply. THis will darken the highlights a lot (leaves and highlights on face and hand).

I then painted black on the monkey except for the nose to hide the correction.

I then flattened it, created a new BG copy and selectively sharpened the monkey.

The highlights correction tones down the bright leaves and face. I use this method a lot on my bear images.

Tom Graham
05-05-2010, 05:58 PM
V much like your re-post Robert. Sharpness looks great now. The highlights are taken down a notch and I might be tempted to take them down more - if not becoming artificial.
Tom

Robert Amoruso
05-05-2010, 06:05 PM
V much like your re-post Robert. Sharpness looks great now. The highlights are taken down a notch and I might be tempted to take them down more - if not becoming artificial.
Tom

I agree Tom on the highlights - a bit more could be better - thought that after I posted. All Susan has to do is copy to the BG copy correction to multiply the affect and opacity can be used to adjust.

Harshad Barve
05-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Beautiful image and excellent repost by Robert
TFS

Stu Bowie
05-06-2010, 09:55 AM
I like how the monkey is coming into the frame from the ULC. Lovely expression on the face, and I like what Robert has done.

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Oh does this bring back memories. Cool capture and so typical of their eating habits !!! Well done Susan !!

Charles Glatzer
05-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Susan,

Super image. I like the original post with a bit more contrast. Crop is wonderful. Face and hair lack fine detail...slow shutter speed?

Best,

Chas