PDA

View Full Version : Great Egret and chick

Keith Carver
05-04-2010, 01:28 PM
At the SA Alligator Farm three weeks ago. I wanted to show parent-chick interaction and nest habitat; I removed a BG horizontal stick that distracted from the vertical bills.

7D, 500 mm f4
ISO 400, f/7.1, 1/320, no flash

C&C much appreciated.

Tony Whitehead
05-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Nice interaction, Keith. Dark BG works well. I am on a horrible uncalibrated monitor at work and the image looks a little flat - I will look again when I am back home tonight.

Tony Whitehead
05-05-2010, 03:04 AM
Hi Keith. I've tried a version neutralising the whites and boosting the contrast a little. The difference is subtle but if you layer the 2 images and compare them it gives an idea.

Keith Carver
05-05-2010, 06:47 AM
Thanks, Tony. I like your repost better than the original. Neutralizing the whites and boosting contrast helps the image - I will do that to others in my series.

Btw, I was in Rotorua about 35 years ago and remember the distinctive sulphurous fragrance of the hot springs. But wasn't photographing birds at that time...

Tony Whitehead
05-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Btw, I was in Rotorua about 35 years ago and remember the distinctive sulphurous fragrance of the hot springs. But wasn't photographing birds at that time...
The aroma of the springs is often what people remember the most:D Fortunately it is quite localised and living here we seldom notice it. The town has changed a lot in the 20 years I have been here so no doubt would seem quite different to you.