PDA

View Full Version : Hidden in the leaves

Steve Large
05-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Hi Everyone,
Here is one that I took the other day of this Common Yellow Throated Warbler at our local marsh. They are getting more abundant but it still takes some time to catch them above the grass long enough for a good image.

Stats: Canon 50D, 500mm +1.4X, 1/1250 sec at F/8, ISO 800, EC +1

Thanks for your comments.

Steve

Daniel Cadieux
05-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Yes, these guys can be elusive in the thick stuff despite their common numbers.

Three things that jump out at me in what looks like tough shooting conditions are 1) the steep angle, 2) the harsh light, and 3) the light angle. Perhaps some tweaking would improve on the light (e.g. reverse S-curve, or dodging and burning)

I do love the singing pose - man this guy is belting it out!

I find that this species responds well to audio - especially when I am concealed in a hide. Not sure you are up to this, but just thought I'd throw that tip in there for you...

Steve Large
05-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Yes, these guys can be elusive in the thick stuff despite their common numbers.

Three things that jump out at me in what looks like tough shooting conditions are 1) the steep angle, 2) the harsh light, and 3) the light angle. Perhaps some tweaking would improve on the light (e.g. reverse S-curve, or dodging and burning)

I do love the singing pose - man this guy is belting it out!

I find that this species responds well to audio - especially when I am concealed in a hide. Not sure you are up to this, but just thought I'd throw that tip in there for you...
Hi Daniel,
I might agree with you on the lighting not being ideal but as regards the high angle, the bird was only six feet off of the ground and about 35 feet away.

Steve

Katie Rupp
05-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Sweet singing pose with nice detail; keep trying for that open view...

Daniel Cadieux
05-04-2010, 04:56 AM
Steve, thanks for the additional info about the angle. For some reason it looks like you were looking up towards the bird.

BTW, can these guys ever get loud eh!!