PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Week of Birding/Magee Marsh Ohio

Doris Dumrauf
05-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Hi everyone,
I have a question concerning bird festivals/warblers. I have been photographing mostly songbirds so far and would like to shoot some new species. I have a 400mm lens and a 1.4 teleconverter and can't buy a longer lens because they are way too heavy (and expensive) for me. There is a birding festival at Magee Marsh/Ottawa NWR which will also offer some photography workshops. I am torn whether to attend or not because I've learned that the crowds are huge. Would it be better to go during the week or to wait until the festival is over or not to bother? Are there any shorebirds worth looking for? Is anyone else going there?
Doris Dumrauf

Richard Sleeman
05-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Doris, yes, IMD day on Sat. May 8th draws big crowds. Sometimes frustrating, always exciting. I wasn't aware that there are photo classes being given.I just returned from two days at Magee. A bit slow but things are starting to move. Lots of songbirds,but we also see BB and YB Cuckoos, many Thrushes, Whip-o-wills,sometimes E. Screech Owl, Bald Eagles overhead (adult and Imm.);wading birds (Egret and Heron), and some Shorebirds are starting to show up. A 400 w/1.4tele extender is perfect for the boardwalk due to the nimber of people. Its hard moving around with tripod and 500mm ,which I usually use.
It can be a fun expierience on a number of levels---not just photography (although that is my main interest also);its subjective,but if you can stay for a couple of days, you may make up for slow shooting on Sat.(on the ohter hand,we've had gangbuster days). Where are you coming from? I'll be there on May 8th,shooting with my 100-400, cause I'm showing some friends and their kids around.But I'm also staying over for a few days at a friends house,so I'll have more than one chance. IMHO, I think you should check it out, and take a Birders chance.

Richard

Doug West
05-04-2010, 04:50 AM
It's been a few years since I've been there, but just inside the entrance, on the left is a gray building (can't remember what it was for...I want to say its a gift shop). Behind that there are bird feeders setup in the back. I always stop there after cruising the main part of Magee and get a few extra song bird shots there.

Doug

Richard Sleeman
05-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Doug,that building is the HQ for Black Swamp Bird Observatory;Kenn Kaufman and his wife Kimberley operate from there. They've put up a nice water feature there that you can view from inside--and yes, its also a gift shop--logtsa neat stuff.
Richard

Doris Dumrauf
05-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks. That sounds encouraging. If I go I will go during the week.
Doris Dumrauf