PDA

View Full Version : Work For You or Not? " Lift Off "

Dave Mills
05-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Shot this when I was in Florida and out with James Shadle. Would appreciate comments.
Nikon D300,500mm,F8,1/3200,-1/3 comp,800 iSO,tripod mtd, about a 30% crop

Jeff Cashdollar
05-02-2010, 03:38 PM
David,

I like shots that show the beauty or fluidity of flight. Note the strong wing position and the cupping at the tips to grab air. The image also display good whites. This shot is all about lift-off, not the head or eyes and to that extent with the drops and water all around it is a nice habitat/action image.

Phil Ertel
05-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Hi Dave,
This works for me and I would be happy if it were mine. I like the splash and water drops. The blurred wing tips give me a sense of movement. The head-on approach gives us a nice symmetrical view of the wings. I also like the eye contact. If I may, I would suggest sharpening the head and throat a little more to enhance the details.
Nice capture of action and thanks for sharing.

Ken Lassman
05-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Hi David,
My kind of action shot...really like this head on capture. Water drops and splashes everywhere in focus, great lighting on the wings and love the slight wing blur. Also the slight reflection and I noticed that the water was slightly choppy which makes this more of a difficult shot. Hope I get a chance at one of these when I am with him on the boat next week. Were you standing in the water with your tripod? I can't wait to do that.

PeterCollins
05-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Agree with the above really,

works for me and the kind of shot that I aim to capture. Cant fault this one aside from the bits from above

Peter

Dave Mills
05-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Hi Ken, Yes I was standing in the water. James supplies waders if you choose to wear them.The water is not very deep. We shot spoonbills in the morning. In the afternoon they weren't in a good light situation so we went to this sandbar where there were dozens of white pelicans along with various shorebirds. Shot them in the later afternoon.
James is great to go with. He's not only knowledgeable in the technical end but knows the area very well and will put you on birds.

Oscar Zangroniz
05-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Great in your face shot Dave. Love the movement and the drops.
Congrats

Alfred Forns
05-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Great comments Straight at you are always high impact images !!!

Lance Peters
05-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Works for me Bigtime - Love it Dave - lots to like here.

Rene A
05-02-2010, 08:30 PM
I love the action & details. well done!

Dave Mills
05-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Thanks folks! Greatly appreciate the comments....

Kerry Perkins
05-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Yessir, works for me! Love the action shots and the "comin' atcha" are hard to get... Very nice!