PDA

View Full Version : The 'Clown' of Seabirds

Steve Kaluski
05-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Puffins, - 'Love them, hate them', they are the most comical of seabirds for me, with their brightly coloured beak and their burrowing habits. Now showing, but hope to spend some time with these guys at the end of next month, weather permitting way way up North.

For those who may ask, the lower POV was because I was avoiding some distracting items in the BG, so any higher and I would of had to do some PS work. :)

Steve
MKIII 500f/4 1/500 f/8 ISO400 (FF, HH)

Austin Thomas
05-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Hi Steve,

I am addicted to this species photographically. Great detail in the beak and a lovely BKGR. Whites held well.
I like the low POV but wish for a little less OOF rock at the bottom.

tfs

Austin

Danny Laredo
05-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Sweet image, they are so funny and cute.
I too wish for a bit less of the rock.

Dave Leroy
05-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Lovely photo. I really like the nice simple and clean look to it.
Colours are great.

Todd Frost
05-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Love the low perspective Steve. I like the inclusion of oof fg elements so this works as posted for me. Exposure handled well with nice sharpness. TFS
Todd

stuart wanuck
05-02-2010, 11:14 AM
love the image would also cut from the rock

Morkel Erasmus
05-02-2010, 12:07 PM
like the low POV, these guys sure are cute...exposure is top notch and love the green BG...maybe cut some from top and bottom to make it a pano?

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-02-2010, 01:10 PM
All I can say Steve is I wish it were mine. Love this species and you did a great job on exposure , composition and detail. Love it. Thanks for sharing.

Axel Hildebrandt
05-02-2010, 03:30 PM
I like the serene mood, sharpness and BG. Another vote for a slight crop off the bottom. The image could go a bit lighter for my taste but I would definitely brighten the eye.

Steve Kaluski
05-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks everyone, can be a little daunting moving into this arena at times :)

Sadly Axel it was a trade off, trying to balance everything, not too much detail in either the whites or blacks and the eye is just solid, something I always look for. ;)

Steve

Axel Hildebrandt
05-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks everyone, can be a little daunting moving into this arena at times :)

Sadly Axel it was a trade off, trying to balance everything, not too much detail in either the whites or blacks and the eye is just solid, something I always look for. ;)

Steve

This is where Viveza comes in quite handy. :)

Steve Kaluski
05-03-2010, 05:50 AM
Hi Axel, how does it work then? Does it have to link/plug through Aperture, or will it run on it's own in PS, CS4?

Thanks
Steve;)

Axel Hildebrandt
05-03-2010, 06:37 AM
Hi Axel, how does it work then? Does it have to link/plug through Aperture, or will it run on it's own in PS, CS4?

Thanks
Steve;)

It is a plugin that works in Photoshop, I'm not sure about Aperture. You can download a free trial version.

As far as the eye is concerned, you could also try to select the eye only, raise the exposure to a level that shows the iris and then darken the pupil if necessary.

Harshad Barve
05-03-2010, 07:07 PM
excellent image Steve and liked the BG too :)
TFS

christopher galeski
05-04-2010, 07:57 AM
very nice,BG mint,exposure bang on,good detail in the head,think I would try and tweek the eye abit,but great shot.thanks.