PDA

View Full Version : B&W landscape

Vladimir Stoyanov
01-03-2008, 08:02 AM
Canon 20D, ISO 100
Canon 70-200 4 L @ 70mm f/5,6

This image is HDR from 5 files at -2, -1, 0, +1, +2 EV
Processed with Photomatix and Photoshop.

Terry Eddington
01-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Dramatic contrast. Good decision to go B&W. Seems a little hot in the valley. You might want to try a 4 photo version without the +2 EV to tone it down.

Mark Hilliard
01-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Very powerfull image. I like it very much!

Robert Amoruso
01-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Vladimir, Thanks for posting and welcome.

I like this image a lot and think it was a great choice for a B&W conversion. I like how the valley enters on the lower right and walks the viewer into the image. I might have been tempted to do an alternate composition in the field and pushed the valley entrance further right taking out the one small ridge in the extreme lower right corner.

The brighter portions in the valley don't bother me - I like the high contrast of that. The mid-tones appear a bit low in contrast. I have not done enough of these types of conversions though to offer a solution. Something I will have to look into - anyone else have suggestions for that? It looks a bit unsharp to me.

David Kennedy
01-03-2008, 02:24 PM
I do not know how to address the question of toning raised by Robert, but I think I know how the "unsharpness" was introduced into the image. In Photomatix, did you turn on the option to automatically reposition the images for "moving clouds" or for "ripples?" I've found through my own tinkering that having Photomatix automatically move images for alignment almost always results in a blurred image, so I now avoid it whenever possible.
You may consider going back and re-creating the HDR image without that auto alignment settings to see if that resolves the issue.

Vladimir Stoyanov
01-03-2008, 06:15 PM
The problem with "unsharpness" could by from "auto alignment" option in Photomatix, as David says. I'll check that. Thank you :)