PDA

View Full Version : Traffic jam at Ranthambhore

Sabyasachi Patra
05-02-2010, 01:52 AM
This was at Ranthambhore Tiger Reseve, India. This scene is repeated again and again in our popular tiger reserves. The tigress is accustomed to tourist vehicles and many a times her path is blocked and she can't hunt. This was one such occasion when she started stalking and the vehicle on the left moved and blocked her path. The distance as recorded by the camera is 3.19 meters.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, Canon EF 24-70 f2.8 L USM at 24mm, ISO 400, f8, 1/80, EV: +1/3, full frame, handheld.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Steve Kaluski
05-02-2010, 03:01 AM
Knowing these sights only to well Sabyasachi, I just wonder if demand is turning the 'other way' and in fact, there are too many vehicles in one location, at any one time? Preventing the tiger from hunting which cannot be a good thing. Will there ever be a point where limited vehicles and I mean limited numbers ie six per route might ever come into operation as it Botswana with private reserves operating x number dependent of their area, but guess it would then not be profitable for ALL parties.

TFS
Steve

Alfred Forns
05-02-2010, 04:08 AM
I know it must be difficult staying away but do feel for the tiger wanting to hunt ... I'm sure she was able to get by :) Are there any restrictions as to the number of cars/people like permits etc?

Sabyasachi Patra
05-02-2010, 11:35 AM
There is a route system in place in Ranthambhore. However, everybody converge at one point. The number of vehicles need to be reduced. Non serious tourists need to be weeded out.

I saw a tourist vehicle screech to a halt and hit the tail of the tigress. The tigress turned back and looked at the driver. She is a very tolerant soul. But you can't keep on pushing a tiger.

You will be amazed at the number of hotels in these forests. No body studies the carrying capacity of the place. The hotel rooms far exceed the number of tourists that can enter into the forest.

Frankly speaking people don't care for the tiger. Everybody makes money in the name of the tiger, be it photographer, tour agent, hotel owner. Even there is a beer named after it. However, the tiger is not even in the same condition as earlier, just getting worse day by day.

Sabyasachi

Alfred Forns
05-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the explanation !! Sad it is and hope it improves !!

Kaustubh Deshpande
05-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Sabyasachi, excellent story-telling image. Thx for sharing.